Sunday, July 5, 2020

A Very Late What's Happening (07-05-20)...

So I'm doing things a tad bit differently this year and will be combining all of my regular weekend posts.  This will enable me to add more content on Fridays and it is just starting to make more sense.  I'll still be linking up with Stacking the Shelves at Tynga's Reviews and Sunday Post at Caffeinated Reviewer.  Both blogs are awesome so make sure you check them out. 

So I'm running a tad behind which seems to be the story of my life this summer.  But don't worry, I plan to catch up on blog visits and replying to comments all next week so get ready to get bombarded. 

Mr. Barb started vacation on Wednesday and then we had a very safe, very outside, very intimate cookout on July 4th so we spent a few days working outside.  Like most July 4ths though, we are in the middle of a horrible heatwave so I guess I am glad to say most of the outside work is now done.  It was a nice day and although there were just 5 of us present plus the dogs, it was fine with me.  Then of course all last night from 9pm-1am was the neighborhood firework show.  I guess since so many festivities were canceled people made their own fun but it was annoying and I just wanted them to stop.  The pup could care less about then and Cassius isn't really afraid, but you can tell they annoy him and he refuses to go outside to the bathroom as long as they are going off.

I have been reading a lot and have already read 4 books and am half finished with a 5th since the month has started.  Guess the heat is good for something.  I need to catch up on some reviews and then update Goodreads but so far I know I'm ahead of my goals for the first half of the year.  Here's what I plan on reading this week.


We finished up watching Curon on Netflix and overall I really enjoyed it. It was a tad slow in the beginning but it pulled out and saved itself.  We also watched Force of Nature, a new Mel Gibson movie.  Is it me or is he playing a drunk old man too well lately?

So I'm going to save review books for next week but I thought I'd share with you some books I picked up for my Kindle recently.  I may have been a tad overzealous but they had some good sales and heck, let's just call it as it is, I was weak.





So I hope you all had a wonderful week and look for visits from me soon!

Also, I'm seriously thinking about writing a book and have started the outline process.  The working title is MY FIRST YEAR WITH SATAN.  What do you think???

19 comments:

  1. I felt really bad for the animals yesterday, we had neighborhood fireworks displays too all over the place and it sounded like a war zone. One of my cats was missing for hours, I know he was hiding, and I know a lot of dogs suffer through it as well. I'm over fireworks at the moment. Glad you had a good 4th though other than that. We did too, nice and low key.

    And ooh I'm watching that one too! I have two to go... :):)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you knew where your cat was. I'm actually surprised we didn't have many Sunday night as last year they went on for days and days after the 4th. I think people ran out! Curon turned out so much better than I anticipated. I hope we get a season 2 - and you will too once you see the last one.

      Delete
  2. There have been so many fireworks over the past few weeks! My neighbors are obsessed with fireworks every year, but they really went all-out this year. It was fun last night, but mostly I hate it because it scares the dog. Have a great week!

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see the fun in them, especially for little kids. I probably thought noting of them until I owned dogs and saw how terrified they got. I also feel badly for the Veteran's who might suffer from PTSD. I think if people just limited them to two hours only on the 4th I'd could live with it.

      Delete
  3. Yeah, this year there were definitely a lot more fireworks in my neighborhood and I'm hearing it's much the same all across the country. Explosions were popping non-stop where I was, luckily my dogs aren't bothered by them either. Honestly though, it's Independence Day and fireworks are to be expected and it's only one night so I didn't mind at all. Everyone was also considerate, most of the fireworks I heard were from 9-10:30 and pretty much none after that. I've heard some horror stories though, of people whose neighborhood would have fireworks every night for a month, anytime of the day, even sometimes at 3am. Now THAT would make me snap.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ours started a week before the 4th and while the actual 4th was horrible, the days leading up to it were probably better than last year. I'm not against them but wish people would just moderate their use better.

      Delete
  4. I wish people were a little more considerate about what time they were setting off their fireworks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good on you for starting your book outline Barb, and that title would definitely stand out!! Am curious abt Lila and Hadley -- mostly because Hadley's face is <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I finished Lila and Hadley and it's such a great MG book. The 12 year old is going blind and her mother recently went to jail. It has such great representation and messages.

      Delete
  6. You should definitely write a book! I love that title😁 So I went on a big rant about all the illegal fireworks in my city, but it breaks down to this: this was the worst 4th I've ever had. People all over were setting off fireworks in their back yard, the police did nothing, at least 3 houses caught fire and burned to the ground, we have 2 brush fires. I mean, it was a war zone! And it went on all night. Cancelling the official fireworks was the worst thing that could have happened 🙁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG Tammy that sounds horrible. I'm so glad you guys managed to stay safe. I stopped calling the cops last year because they never did anything. We did learn though that they respond better when someone says they are going off near cars (gasoline) or roofs. People are so stupid.

      Delete
  7. Sounds like you're having a good July so far. :D And My First Year With Satan is a great book title. A horror story I presume?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually it will be a dog memoir. Apollo has been a difficult pup to say the least and even though we love him dearly, he sometimes gets nicknamed Satan. Thus it would be my puppy tales. They say write what you know right?

      Delete
  8. I'm glad you had a nice and safe 4th. It's getting hot here now also. Enjoy all your new reads!

    Anne - Books of My Heart Here is my Sunday Post   

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, our Governor finally mandated mask wearing so let's see if people smarten up any. I'm betting they won't.

      Delete
  9. I'm glad your reading is going well! I'm in a slump but I'll get over it eventually, lol.

    I don't like private fireworks. I think they should be limited to organised (licensed) displays as they're an annoyance and a hazard otherwise... Wow, don't I sound grumpy! lol
    Glad you had a good holiday weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aw, your cookout sounds nice. I can't believe I'm starting to miss seeing people. LOL. I'm running behind in everything, too. I'll catch up someday. Maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hate firework nights. The stupid bonfire night every year really annoys me and is terrible for pets and nervous people! They should be banned except for public displays with permits. I'm glad that the dogs aren't as badly affected by it.

    ReplyDelete