Wednesday, July 15, 2020

Can't Wait Wednesday (280)


Can't Wait Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted at Wishful Endings to spotlight highly anticipated books.  It is based on the Waiting on Wednesday meme which used to be hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine.




FROM GOODREADS: An eerie, old Scottish manor in the middle of nowhere that’s now hers.

Ailsa Calder has inherited half of a house. The other half belongs to a man who disappeared without a trace twenty-seven years ago—her father.

Leaving London behind to settle the inheritance from her mother’s estate, Ailsa returns to her childhood home, nestled amongst the craggy peaks of the Scottish Highlands, joined by the half-sister who’s almost a stranger to her.

Ailsa can’t escape the claustrophobic feeling that the house itself is watching her—as if her past hungers to consume her. She also can’t ignore how the neighbourhood animals refuse to set one foot within the gates of the garden.

When the first nighttime intruder shows up, Ailsa fears that the manor’s careless rugged beauty could cost her everything.

WHY I CAN'T WAIT:  So upon inspection, this is actually the trade paperback release of a book that's already out.  One I didn't give a second glance to until I saw this cover.  That just goes to show what a great cover will do for you.  It does sound like something I might enjoy though.


CASSIUS'S PICK:  

FROM GOODREADS: When twelve-year-old Maddie hatches a scheme for a secret sleepover with her two best friends, she ends up waking up to a nightmare. She’s alone—left behind in a town that has been mysteriously evacuated and abandoned.

With no one to rely on, no power, and no working phone lines or internet access, Maddie slowly learns to survive on her own. Her only companions are a Rottweiler named George and all the books she can read. After a rough start, Maddie learns to trust her own ingenuity and invents clever ways to survive in a place that has been deserted and forgotten.

As months pass, she escapes natural disasters, looters, and wild animals. But Maddie’s most formidable enemy is the crushing loneliness she faces every day. Can Maddie’s stubborn will to survive carry her through the most frightening experience of her life?
 

WHY CASSIUS CAN'T WAIT:  Mom says this book is in verse form which means nothing to me - I'm a dog!  But she says it's kind of like a song lyric.  Now that I understand because I love music.  I want to hear all about Maddie's adventure and see how cool George is.  I'm sure he's a good boy!

WHAT BOOK CAN'T YOU WAIT FOR THIS WEEK?

8 comments:

  1. The Missing Years does sound like a great read, I love stories that feature creepy houses!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG you had me at "eerie Scottish manor"! Definitely getting some Gothic vibes out of The Missing Years. I'm glad you featured it even though it's an older book, because this is the first time I've heard of it!

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that cover of The Missing Years, I can see why it grabbed you! And I think I'd be ok with finding myself alone with only a dog and a bunch of books😁

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great choices. Both look good to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Missing Years sounds super creepy! It's new to me as well even though it has already been released so thanks for putting it on my radar. I probably would have missed it otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  6. On no, a book set in Scotland! I dread reading them as they always have it raining, with mean people and unfriendly locals!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is the first time I'm hearing about the missing years too. It sounds good and creepy. Gonna have to look into it. Hope you enjoy it! Thanks for coming by!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alone kind of sounds devastating, I must admit. I'd have to be in the right frame of mind for it.

    ReplyDelete