Wednesday, July 29, 2020

Can't Wait Wednesday (282)


Can't Wait Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted at Wishful Endings to spotlight highly anticipated books.  It is based on the Waiting on Wednesday meme which used to be hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine.



FROM GOODREADS: MISS PEREGRINE'S HOME FOR PECULIAR CHILDREN MEETS THE ADDAMS FAMILY IN THIS HAUNTING STORY OF ONE GIRL'S ATTEMPT TO RECONNECT WITH HER MONSTROUS FAMILY.

Eleanor has not seen or spoken with her family in years, not since they sent her away to Saint Brigid's boarding school. She knows them only as vague memories: her grandfather's tremendous fanged snout, the barrel full of water her mother always soaked in, and strange hunting trips in a dark wood with her sister and cousins. And she remembers the way they looked at her, like she was the freak.

When Eleanor finally finds the courage to confront her family and return to their ancestral home on the rainy coast of Maine, she finds them already gathered in wait, seemingly ready to welcome her back with open arms. "I read this in the cards," her grandmother tells her. However, Grandma Persephone doesn't see all, for just as Eleanor is beginning to readjust to the life she always longed for, a strange and sudden death rocks the family, leaving Eleanor to manage this difficult new dynamic without help.

In order to keep the family that abandoned her from falling apart, Eleanor calls upon her mysterious other grandmother, Grandmere, from across the sea. Grandmere brings order to the chaotic household, but that order soon turns to tyranny. If any of them are to survive, Eleanor must embrace her strange family and join forces with the ghost of Grandma Persephone to confront the monstrousness lurking deep within her Grandmere-and herself. 

WHY I CAN'T WAIT:  I won't lie, I was pretty much sold just on the cover alone.  But then I saw a comparison to the Addams family and a mention of a monstrous family and I was all in.\

CASSIUS'S PICK:

FROM GOODREADS: As the town of Greenwich, Connecticut, counts down to a spooky celebration on October 31st, a horrifying murder leaves Melanie Travis pawing for clues in a hair-raising game of trick-or-treat . . .

With just a few days left before Halloween, everyone at Howard Academy is anticipating the guaranteed sugar high they'll experience from gorging on Harriet Bloom's famous marshmallow puffs. The private school's annual costume party revolves around the headmaster's assistant and her seemingly supernatural batches of gooey goodies. So, it's a shock when Harriet's elderly neighbor is suddenly found dead with the beloved dessert in his hand. In a snap, police start questioning whether Harriet modified her top-secret recipe to include a hefty dose of lethal poison . . .

Melanie knows her tenured colleague would never intentionally serve cyanide-laced puffs to a defenseless old man. But as explosive neighborhood gossip reveals a potential culprit, it also brings her closer to sealing her own doom. Because on an evening ruled by masked revelers, bizarre getups, and hidden identities, Halloween might just be the perfect opportunity for a cold-hearted killer to get away with murder once again--this time sending a nosy, unsuspecting sleuth to an early grave! 

WHY CASS CAN'T WAIT:  This is the 26th book in a mystery series that features dogs and I can't believe Mom hasn't read any of them!  I think this cover is too adorable and it already has me thinking what I should dress Apollo up as this Halloween.  It will be his first after all.  Any suggestions guys???

WHAT BOOK CAN'T YOU WAIT FOR THIS WEEK????

36 comments:

  1. What Big Teeth sounds fantastic! I've been reading a lot of spookier books lately, so this would be a fun one that still fits with that theme.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, sounds perfect for you. I'm already gearing up for horror reads in October. Can't wait!

      Delete
  2. I'm going with your pick, Cass, your mom's book looks too SCARY! 😱

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cass always seems to have the most popular pick. Such a smart dog.

      Delete
  3. Oh, I am sold on What Big Teeth too from the cover! The promise of family secrets as well sounds good -- and Addams Family! This is the first time I've seen it referenced in a blurb like this! And oh my goodness, Apollo's first Halloween? Maybe he should be a Furry Uncle Fester?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He does have a big dome head right now so you may have the perfect costume suggestion. I LOVE the Addams family.

      Delete
  4. Miss Peregrine's meets Addams Family is QUITE the intriguing comparison. Loving that cover too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I swear you and I are on the same wave length lately! I just saw What Big Teeth the other day too, I LOVE the cover and story blurb😁

    ReplyDelete
  6. That cover for What Big Teeth looks really great Barb! As for the other one, I couldn't commit to a 26 book series and maybe more to come! That's a lot of shelf space!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I do ever take it on, it's gonna be library or ebooks for me. I have to be really picky about shelf space right now.

      Delete
  7. oh boy! Both of these sound like fun to me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those covers! Both of these books sound great. :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. two very different books and they look like good ones. i hope you enjoy them when you get a chance to read them
    sherry @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd say chances are good that I'll enjoy both.

      Delete
  10. These are both new to me - I hope you enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow - I LOVE the sound of What Big Teeth! I hope it's as awesome as it sounds, Barb:). And Cassius's pick sounds so very cute, too! Happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and thanks so much for always stopping by.

      Delete
  12. I like the sound of What Big Teeth! And awww, that second cover is so adorable!

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it. My dogs would never stay so calm for a picture though.

      Delete
  13. That first one sounds so neat! I'll have to add to my Goodreads TBR. And I adore the cover of the second one. I wish my dogs would let me dress them up. Thanks for visiting my Wednesday post on Lisa Loves Literature earlier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One year we dressed Booker T up as Beast Boy from Teen Titan, Cooper was Underdog and Barkley was Flash. I made all the costumes. It was a blast.

      Delete
  14. Mother reads the series by Laurien Berenson and loves it. I'll have to try it one of these days. I love Halloween themed mysteries. Hope you enjoy both books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear she likes them. I need to pick up the first one eventually. It's such a long commitment though.

      Delete
  15. I need to read What Big Teeth, it sounds right up my street!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds so good right? Thanks for visiting Booker T's Farm!

      Delete
  16. WHAT BIG TEETH sounds like such an AMAZING book! Happy reading! :)
    My CWW!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What Big Teeth! That cover is certainly a show stealer.
    Lynn :D

    ReplyDelete