Wednesday, July 1, 2020

Can't Wait Wednesday (278)


Can't Wait Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted at Wishful Endings to spotlight highly anticipated books.  It is based on the Waiting on Wednesday meme which used to be hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine.




FROM GOODREADS: Every fifty years, a cult claims twelve men to murder in a small Texas town. Can one girl end the cycle of violence - and save the boy who broke her heart?

San Solano, Texas is a quaint town known for its charm, hospitality, and history of murder. Twice now, twelve men have been brutally killed, and no one knows who did it. A shadowy witch? A copy-cat killer? Or a man-hating murderess? Eighteen-year-old Natalie Colter is sure that the rumors about her great-great-grandmother's cult of wronged women are just gossip, but that doesn't stop the true crime writers and dark tourism bloggers from capitalizing on the town's reputation. It's an urban legend that's hard to ignore, and it gets harder when Nat learns that the sisterhood is real, and magical. And they want her to join.

The more Nat learns of the Wardens' supernatural history, the more she wonders about the real culprits behind the town's ritualistic murders. Are the Wardens protecting San Solano from even darker forces? As the anniversary of the murders draws near, the town grows restless. Residents start getting "claimed" as this year's planned victims, including Levi Langford, the boy whose kiss haunted Nat for a year.

Nat knows that no one is safe. Can she and the sisterhood stop the true evil from claiming their town?

WHY I CAN'T WAIT:  I'm a little scared by the whole "boy who broke her heart thing" but I think the mention of a shadowy witch and a cult takes precedence so I want to give this one a chance.

CASSIUS'S PICK


FROM GOODREADS: From The Cut's funniest writer, a hilarious journey through the odd corners of obsessive dog ownership and the author's own infatuation with her perfect dog Peter.


The author met Peter in the spring of 2017. He--calm, puppy-eyed, with the heart of a poet and the soul of, also, a poet--came to her first as a foster. He was unable to stay with his previously assigned foster for reasons that are none of your business, but which we will tell you were related to frequent urination. The rescue needed someone free of the sort of responsibilities that would force her to regularly leave the house for either work or socializing, and a writer was the natural choice. Thus began a love story for the ages.

THE PARTICULARS OF PETER is a funny exploration of the joy found in loving a dog so much it makes you feel like you're going to combust, and the author's potentially codependent relationship with her own sweet dog, Peter. Readers will follow Peter and his owner to Woofstock, "the largest outdoor festival for dogs in North America," and accompany them to lessons in Canine Freestyle, a sport where dogs perform a routine set to music, creating the illusion that they're dancing with their owners. From learning about Peter's DNA, to seeing if dogs can sense the presence of ghosts, THE PARTICULARS OF PETER will give readers a smart, entertaining respite from the harsh world of humans into the funny little world of dogs.

Readers will accompany this lovable duo through exciting trips, lessons, quiet moments of connection, and probably a failure or two. By fusing memoir and infotainment, THE PARTICULARS OF PETER promises to refresh the perennially popular dog lit category in a scrumptiously bighearted barnstormer of a book.

WHY CASSIUS CAN'T WAIT:  Seriously guys?  Didn't you just read the synopsis?  The book sounds perfect and coming from a dog whose Mom might just be a bit codependent on me, I know she definitely needs to read this one.  Plus it sounds like it might have some humor to it which always adds enjoyment to a current read. 

WHAT BOOK CAN'T YOU WAIT FOR THIS WEEK????

26 comments:

  1. Ooh, The Bitterwine Oath sounds intriguing. I'm a bit nervous about the whole cult angle though, that stuff's tough for me to read!

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have always been intrigued by cults. Did you read Bunny? I think that's the last cult book I read.

      Delete
  2. I like both your choices this week but think Cass's pick might just be my favourite. Kind of reminds me a little of Sarah Pinborough who tweets quite often about her dog Ted and their adoration for each other. Being an author she also has time for a rescue dog and I think Ted came from a far away place if I remember correctly.
    Lynn :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know that about Sarah. I think I need to follow her now :)

      Delete
  3. The Bitterwine Oath sounds really good, but I hope it doesn't veer off into YA romance too much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both of these sound good. I'm definitely adding The Bitterwine Oath to my TBR, it sounds really creepy and wow, that cover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover is stunning and I do love that color.

      Delete
  5. i do love a good mystery and cass...the blurb for your choice cracked me up
    sherry @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shadowy witch + cult = book I definitely want to try. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm such a sucker for any book with "witch" in it.

      Delete
  7. Another really creepy read, Barb:)). Thank goodness you have the lovely story with Peter, courtesy of Cassius... Have a lovely reading week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmm, I wonder where you seen that first one. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aww... Cass, The Particulars of Peter sounds wonderful! All but the freestyling that is, ha ha. I can definitely say it annoys me. 😄

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh that does look spooky! I may have to try that one... :):)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Be still my heart, I didn't think I could adore a book blurb as much as I adore the Particulars of Pete <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. My heart melted just reading it.

      Delete
  12. Yeah, the shadowy witch and cult aspects of The Bitterwine Oath are what make me want to read it too. :-) The Particulars of Peter sounds really cute. I hope you enjoy both of these when you read them! Stay safe and well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much and thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  13. I'd love to get my hands on both of these!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Regular dog books are good for your mum's mental health Cass!

    ReplyDelete