Thursday, January 28, 2016

Envy of Angels - Where Do Chicken Nuggies Really Come From?

TITLE: Envy of Angels (Sin du Jour #1)
AUTHOR: Matt Wallace
PUBLISHER: Tor.com
PUBLISHING DATE: October 20, 2015

FROM GOODREADS: In New York, eating out can be hell.

Everyone loves a well-catered event, and the supernatural community is no different, but where do demons go to satisfy their culinary cravings?

Welcome to Sin du Jour - where devils on horseback are the clients, not the dish.


MY THOUGHTS:  I wasn't quite sure what I was about to read when I picked this book up. I remember grabbing it for my Kindle one weekend when it was on sale for under $3.00 after seeing a few decent reviews. I also recall being on a horror kick when I grabbed it and wanting to check out some new authors. All I can say is for whatever reason I grabbed this, thank heavens I did!

This book was a total blast. Sin du Jour is a special catering company in New York whose clients consist of a certain branch of individuals the government wants to keep happy, and who they also want to keep a secret. We are talking about demons, monster, etc. here so that alone should be enough to make you curious. This book has it all - action, suspense, horror, great characters and monsters. We are talking different demon factions, a giant chicken, angels, alchemists and even humans. Come on, one of the companies mottos is "We don't serve werewolf, and we don't serve werewolves." I laughed out loud at that and since we had been snowbound for three days, I am sure my husband thought I was losing my mind.

It's really hard to describe this book without giving a lot away, but you seriously have to give it a chance. When I looked at the cover, I could never quite figure it out, but those are chicken "nuggies" making the body of the angel so that alone should make you want to grab it. It's a quick read and I already plan on starting book 2 tonight.


RATING: 4 PAWS




BOOKER T'S THOUGHTS:  First of all, you might not guess it from the cover, but there is a dog in this book.  It is described as a Shiz hu stray and  it's name is "DOG."  Original huh?  But believe me, I have heard worse.  The dog doesn't play a HUGE role in the book, but it does play a VITAL role.  You definitely have to read it to find out but for no other reason than the role it plays, DOG gets 5 paws!




6 comments:

  1. OMG, I recced this ages ago and totally forgot to check it out!! I'm SO GLAD it's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't that I have heard of this book before but it sounds like something that I would really enjoy. I am glad that Book enjoyed the dog in the story! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I mentioned in your review of the second book, I read this a couple weeks ago and loved it. I still have to finish my review and post it. (I'm way behind on reviews!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bought this one a while back when I think it was you who might have mentioned wanting the second one on a waiting on Wed. At least I know someone I follow mentioned it...lol. Good to know it's a good one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review! I will tell you I was not really interested in reading this book, but after reading your review I am totally sold and keen on getting it now! I am very intrigued and curious to know what this book is all about. So I most definitely am going to check it out hopefully soonish! Thank you for your awesome post my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha! Whaaat? :) I'm totally intrigued!

    ReplyDelete