Friday, January 15, 2016

Orphan Black - Watch the Show, Skip the Graphic Novel

TITLE: Orphan Black Vol. 1
AUTHOR: John Fawcett, Szymon Kudranski, Graeme Manson, Jody Houser, Catt Staggs
PUBLISHER: IDW Publishing
PUBLISHING DATE: September 23, 2015

FROM GOODREADS: Sarah’s life was changed dramatically after witnessing the suicide of a woman who looked just like her. Sarah learned that, not only were she and the woman clones, but there were others just like them, and dangerous factions at work set on capturing them all. Now, the mysterious world of Orphan Black widens, with new layers of the conspiracy being peeled back in this miniseries by co-creators John Fawcett and Graeme Manson!

MY THOUGHTS: 
I picked this up when I saw it at the local library because basically I am pretty obsessed with Orphan Black. Sadly, I wasn't as impressed with the graphic novel and do not see myself continuing the series. In order to understand this volume, you pretty much have to have seen the first season of the series, and if you have, then there is really no reason to read this book. There were a few bits and pieces added in which aren't shown on TV, but it's pretty "jumpy" and hard to follow and I didn't even enjoy the artwork that much. I really think this is a case of where I love the television series so much, there is no way this could ever hold up to it. I am sure others will love this, it just isn't for me.

RATING: 2 PAWS
 

5 comments:

  1. I haven't heard of this TV show. I may need to check it out. I haven't really branched out into graphic novels yet. They just don't have the same appeal for me as a regular book. I may try one though just to see what the fuss is all about. Sorry this one didn't work for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry this was a bust for you, Barb. I haven't seen the tv show nor am I much of a graphic novel fan, but it's sad that the graphic novel didn't add much enjoyment for the show fans. Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of this series before, since i work nights, and thus, miss all the great shows....sigh...

    It's too bad you didn't like the graphic novel. I guess what happened was that watching the several of the shows really stamped the characters in your mind, and then the graphic novel just couldn't compete. I can relate to that. For instance, when I first saw the "Twilight" graphic novel and skimmed through it (this was in a bookstore), I didn't like it, either. I kept seeing Robert Pattinson, Kristen Stewart, and Taylor Lautner in my mind. I bought it anyway just because it's part of The Twilight Saga universe. Lol.

    Thanks for your thoughts!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the word on this one. I have this show on my to watch list and don't yet know what goes on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm, as someone who hasn't seen the show, I probably wouldn't read it anyway, but with graphic novels they have to stand on their own for me to actually like them. :(

    ReplyDelete