Friday, October 5, 2018

A Surprise Freak Out

TITLE: Coraline
AUTHOR: Neil Gaiman
PUBLISHER: Harper Collins
PUBLISHING DATE: August 4, 2002

FROM GOODREADS: Coraline lives with her preoccupied parents in part of a huge old house--a house so huge that other people live in it, too... round, old former actresses Miss Spink and Miss Forcible and their aging Highland terriers ("We trod the boards, luvvy") and the mustachioed old man under the roof ("'The reason you cannot see the mouse circus,' said the man upstairs, 'is that the mice are not yet ready and rehearsed.'") Coraline contents herself for weeks with exploring the vast garden and grounds. But with a little rain she becomes bored--so bored that she begins to count everything blue (153), the windows (21), and the doors (14). And it is the 14th door that--sometimes blocked with a wall of bricks--opens up for Coraline into an entirely alternate universe. Now, if you're thinking fondly of The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe or Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, you're on the wrong track. Neil Gaiman's Coraline is far darker, far stranger, playing on our deepest fears. And, like Roald Dahl's work, it is delicious.
What's on the other side of the door? A distorted-mirror world, containing presumably everything Coraline has ever dreamed of... people who pronounce her name correctly (not "Caroline"), delicious meals (not like her father's overblown "recipes"), an unusually pink and green bedroom (not like her dull one), and plenty of horrible (very un-boring) marvels, like a man made out of live rats. The creepiest part, however, is her mirrored parents, her "other mother" and her "other father"--people who look just like her own parents, but with big, shiny, black button eyes, paper-white skin... and a keen desire to keep her on their side of the door. 
MY THOUGHTS: So I don't scare easily.  And no, this book didn't really scare me, but it did take me back to a time where the movie terrified me.  When the movie first came out on DVD, I rented it one evening when my husband was away working late.  I knew he wouldn't be home until about 2am so I started watching it around midnight...with the lights out, and a storm outside.  That creepy other mother with the button eyes and the blob in the basement really freaked me out. I know it was the atmosphere but still...  So when one of the challenges for the #booksinthefreezer readathon was to read an adaptation, I knew this was the one.
"Coraline" is the kind of tale I'd have eaten up as a child.  It's a quick-paced fun creepy read.  Gaiman's writing almost has a magic about it.  The book just flows.  So we meet Coraline, an inquisitive young girl with preoccupied parents.  She loves to explore their new home and interact with her new neighbors.  However, one day her love for exploration gets the best of her and she encounters a door that leads to an alternative dimension of her home and her family - the "other" mother.  Coraline's newfound mother wants nothing more than to keep Coraline with her forever, but Coraline realizes what she is really missing and the world that initially seemed fun, quickly turns terrifying.
I really loved Coraline.  She loved to explore and was basically me as a child in that she is quite often always bored.  The tale was pretty much as I remembered it and the book was an creepy little read.  I wasn't lucky enough to score the copy I showed, but I did have the original which had some great eerie artwork.  
Overall, I'm glad I gave "Coraline" a chance. It was a perfect October read and I would highly recommend it.  I'm even hoping to give the movie another go this month... without the storm and preferably with someone else home.
RATING: 4 PAWS


19 comments:

  1. I haven't read this book but I've tried a few by the author. The Graveyard Book was ok but I've never taken to him as an author for some reason. I quit Anansi boys after two chapters! Oh boy did I hate the characters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I hate the characters, the book usually doesn't hold up well so I totally get what you're saying.

      Delete
  2. They did such a great with the movie adaptation of this book. I really captured the essence of Gaiman's novel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *great job* I desperately need an editor.

      Delete
    2. I can't wait to watch it again and see if I'm still creeped out.

      Delete
  3. I remember my daughter watching this when she was about 10 and it scared her to death!!! And she loves those types of movies. Corpse Bride and A Nightmare Before Christmas are her favorites so she thought she would like Coraline. NOPE! Glad you liked the book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is another one of those books that I've been meaning to read for years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe I've never read this OR seen the movie. It's always interesting to read a book after you've seen the movie, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need to at least watch the movie - it's on Netflix right now.

      Delete
  6. You really have me curious about this one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't read the book, but I did watch the movie with my son. It was on Netflix for awhile last year, and it honestly creeped me out a little. I thought the "other mom" was spooky and then the ghosts that Coraline encounters? How awful! My son enjoyed it, but I didn't care to watch it a second time, haha. Glad the book was enjoyable!

    Lindsi @ Do You Dog-ear?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have no desire to ever meet that other mom!

      Delete
  8. oh wow I'm surprise to hear the movie is that scary! I had totally forgotten there is a movie. I think Neil Gaiman maybe in the same category with King. I not a big fan of his books but I think I would love his movies. I'll watch Coraline!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was just a really creepy vibe about it.

      Delete
  9. I have had this on my Kindle forever. I haven't seen the movie. 🎃

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The movie is really creepy. I don't know why it creeped me out so much though.

      Delete