Monday, October 1, 2018

Sidetracked Sunday - On a Monday!


So I may be a day late posting this feature, but I've had the book read since the beginning of the month.  I've always been curious about this month's selection and since it was originally released in 1973, it more than qualifies for a book that's I've been wanting to read for a while - well, not that long though.  


TITLE: Burnt Offerings
AUTHOR: Robert Marasco
PUBLISHER: Delacorte Press
PUBLISHING DATE: 1973

FROM GOODREADS: Ben and Marian Rolfe are desperate to escape a stifling summer in their tiny Brooklyn apartment, so when they get the chance to rent a mansion in upstate New York for the entire season for only $900, it's an offer that's too good to refuse. There's only one catch: behind a strange and intricately carved door in a distant wing of the house lives elderly Mrs. Allardyce, and the Rolfes will be responsible for preparing her meals. 

But Mrs. Allardyce never seems to emerge from her room, and it soon becomes clear that something weird and terrifying is happening in the house. As the suspense builds towards a revelation of what really lies behind that locked door, the Rolfes will discover that their cheap vacation rental comes at a terrible cost . . .
 

MY THOUGHTS:  So as I've mentioned, I've been curious about this book for quite some time and when I saw my library had the newest re-release, I had to grab it.  I mean, how could I possibly resist that cover anyway?  So "Burnt Offerings" is pretty much your classic haunted house book - or is it.  Is the house really haunted or is there something more sinister at work?

Ben and Marian have had it with Brooklyn city life so when Marian finds a country home, which is more like a mansion, for rent at an extremely reasonable price, they pack up their son and Ben's aunt and prepare for a summer away from it all.  It doesn't take long before some pretty creepy things to start happening and for Marian to become obsessed with actually meeting Mrs. Allardyce, the woman who lives upstairs, hidden away from public eye.

I don't know that I really liked any of the characters in this book.  Marian was definitely a borderline whiner/manipulator in my honest opinion and Ben was kind of spineless.  I did like their son and probably was most invested in what might happen to Ben's Aunt.  I can see why this is considered a horror classic but overall, I felt it was a tad slow.  The descriptions are quite wordy but there were some scenes that had me on the edge of my seat - or in my experience, the edge of my couch.  I remember seeing the movie a long time ago and finding it rather creepy and as the Halloween season is now in full swing, I'm hoping for a rewatch to see if it stands up as well the second time around.

When reading this, just keep in mind this is a 70's tale.  And it seems like a 70's tale as well.  I think anyone who likes atmospheric reads should definitely consider giving this one a go.  It's a solid read, it just didn't "wow" me.

RATING: 3 PAWS

15 comments:

  1. I really like the cover but it sounds like I'd probably hate the characters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it would have enough action for you either. And yes, if I wanted them to die, I'm sure you would definitely feel the same way!

      Delete
  2. This was published before I was born! I find it hard to read older books sometimes because of how the language and writing styles have changed. So much has changed even in 40 plus years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was kind of different but actually, other than happening in the 70's, it aged really well.

      Delete
  3. This one was a little on the slow side but, whew, that creep factor! I need to view the movie with Karen Black this month. I hope Netflix or Shudder have it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I kept picturing Karen Black when reading it. I think Shudder may have it. I want to watch it again too.

      Delete
  4. I haven't heard of this one before. Sorry it was a bit slow for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea but it was still decent. And I've always wanted to read it so there is that.

      Delete
  5. The cover certainly fits the era, I feel -- but I'm sorry it was as great as you hoped.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually that's a new revamped cover. You should see the real old one!

      Delete
  6. I've never read this, but I'm pretty sure I've seen the movie, a long time ago. Sounds like it had the potential to be better, but didn't quite get there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Meh, probably not for me - sorry you didn't enjoy it more.
    Lynn :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynn. Yea, if I hadn't seen the movie years ago, I probably wouldn't have picked it up to begin with.

      Delete
  8. The cover is perfection, too bad the insides weren't as well. 📖

    ReplyDelete