Monday, October 15, 2018

What's Up With All the Crazy???

TITLE: The Elizas
AUTHOR: Sara Shepard
PUBLISHER: Atria Books
PUBLISHING DATE: April 17, 2018

FROM GOODREADS: When debut novelist Eliza Fontaine is found at the bottom of a hotel pool, her family at first assumes that it’s just another failed suicide attempt. But Eliza swears she was pushed, and her rescuer is the only witness.

Desperate to find out who attacked her, Eliza takes it upon herself to investigate. But as the publication date for her novel draws closer, Eliza finds more questions than answers. Like why are her editor, agent, and family mixing up events from her novel with events from her life? Her novel is completely fictional, isn’t it?

The deeper Eliza goes into her investigation while struggling with memory loss, the closer her life starts to resemble her novel until the line between reality and fiction starts to blur and she can no longer tell where her protagonist’s life ends and hers begins.
 

MY THOUGHTS:  I was super curious about "The Elizas" when it first came out but then quickly forgot about it.  However, my library recently got a copy so when I saw it on the "New Releases" shelf, I quickly snatched it up.  Eliza Fontaine has had a troubling past.  She has just recovered from a brain tumor and the book she wrote during her recovery is about to release and is touted as the next bestseller.  Yet, despite all this reason for joy and celebration, Eliza is fished out of the bottom of a pool by a Batmobile-driving man (seriously I can't make this stuff up) and all of her family and friends see this as just another failed suicide attempt - because Eliza can't swim.  In fact, she also seems to have a habit of jumping in pools. 

There is a serious mystery wrapped up in "The Elizas" which is complicated by, dare I say it, an unreliable narrator.  Add in the whole book-within-a-book trope and it's amazing that I liked this book at all - but I did.  Eliza thinks someone is out to kill her and as the book continues, the reader learns that apparently a lot of people are in on the conspiracy - and I mean A LOT.  

"The Elizas" was full of twists and turns and although I had one of the major plot twists figured out about midway through, it didn't deter my enjoyment of the story.  I couldn't wait to figure out what was going on and overall pleased with how Shepard was able to make such a crazy tale make sense in the end.

I've been burned by thrillers in the past  (yes, I'm looking at you Final Girls and Chalk Man)  but thankfully "The Elizas" doesn't fall into that category. Oh, and I hope Eliza invests some of her book money into swimming lessons because with all the "crazy" going on, she may need them again in the future.

RATING: 4 PAWS

20 comments:

  1. I'm so lad to hear this wasn't another Chalk Man *wink* you had me at "crazy tale" btw all your comments are going through they are just held for moderation :) ty for visiting me! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aha, now I know what's happening. Cool. I think you'd like this one.

      Delete
  2. I'm waiting for this one to come to me on audio. It sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really good. I'm not a huge fan of unreliable narrators but it really works with this book.

      Delete
  3. I like the idea of this concept!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you read it soon. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

      Delete
  4. This does sound like a crazy ride. Glad it ends up being a better read than Final Girls!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, but I didn't like Final Girls so it doesn't take a lot to make it better for me.

      Delete
  5. Glad to hear you liked this one! I was put off it by a couple reviews and the whole unreliable narrator thing, but I might give it another chance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of the better ones and at least I've never seen it compared to Girl on a Train and Gone Girl so it has that going for it.

      Delete
  6. Oooh, I like this, Barb! And even more so with the Batmobile driving man. Defintiely going on my list to see how the author makes sense of the crazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you'r going to give this a go. I personally loved Batmobile man

      Delete
  7. I'm undecided on this one! I kind of like the plot idea but I'm worried in case it goes into confusing and weird!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd want to smack her. So if you are in the mood for that, pick it up, if not, I've seen your shelves, I know you will find something else :)

      Delete
  8. I like the sound of this one with all the twists and turns. I'll keep this one in mind.
    Lynn :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool. It definitely has lots of twists and turns.

      Delete
  9. I haven't really given this book too much thought and had assumed that I wouldn't care for it. You have changed my mind, Barb. I will have to see if my library has a copy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh! I gotta check this one out!! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like a good unreliable narrator though it can be difficult for an author to do convincingly. I've had a couple of thriller fails recently too so am glad to see one so highly recommended!

    ReplyDelete