Saturday, October 20, 2018

Weekly Reads/Stacking the Shelves/Sunday Post (10-19-18)


First thing first - yes I know that the dog is MUCH bigger than the haunted house.  That's just how my world is.  So I hope everyone has had a great week.  Things at The Farm have been okay.  There have been some family issues regarding people not stepping up and helping out Gpa and now I have a Stupid Uncle to match Stupid Cousin but I called in some reinforcements so just know Gpa is fine.  I've actually been enjoying listening to some tunes this week and realize how much I miss music.  I've kind of gotten away from it the past 6 months ago and I really am in a better mood when I have tunes in my life.

We watched a dumb zombie movie this week.  Yep, even dumber than last week's.  It was a dubbed Vietnamese one and while the effects were good, the dubbing was awful.  For example, there was a 5 year old boy and when he said "I want my Mom"  he sounded like a grown-ass man.  It was WAY off.  Also, I don't think the people that did the dubbing had a clue what the script was actually saying.

I got some reading done but not as much as I wanted.  I also started a new Instagram feature so check yesterday's post if you want more details.  I am planning on visiting Gpa this weekend, reading, watching some scary things and watching football.  Here's what's up next on the stack.  I am almost done with "The Boy at the Keyhole" and while it's not bad, I'm excited to move on.



Stacking the Shelves is all about sharing the books you are adding to your shelves or TBR piles, may it be physical or virtual.  This means you cans you cam include books you buy in a physical store, online, books you borrow from the library or friends, review books, gifts and of course, ebooks! The original meme was started over at Tynga's Reviews. And it now has a new co-host where individuals can link up as well - Marlene from Reading Reality.  Clicking on the book (or title) should take you to the Goodreads page.  I'm also now linking up with the Sunday Post which is hosted by Kimberly@Caffeinated Book Reviewer.

So I had to pick up "Scream and Scream Again" which was on hold at my not-so-local library and of course I couldn't walk out with just one book so "The Mere Wife" and "The Con Artist" came home with me as well.


And then this beauty arrived in the mail Thursday.  It was a preorder and totally worth the wait.  It's gorgeous!  I'm sure I need to provide no further explanation.  I actually received a couple of physical books in the mail for review but I want to take pictures so I'll share those next week.


So what did you guys add to your shelves this week?  Do you have any fun plans?

39 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh... that Slenderman cover!!! So creepy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely. I'm almost done and really need to look up some Slender Man folklore because I'm realizing I don't know much about it.

      Delete
  2. I met the author of The Mere Wife at Comic Con and got a signed copy, but I haven't had a chance to read it yet. Maybe you'll read it first since it's a library book and then I'll know whether to pick it up or not😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually enjoyed Beowulf in high school - one of the few people who did I think - so I'm super curious.

      Delete
  3. Sometimes family sucks! I like the cover of the slender man. very cryptic and creepy looking

    ReplyDelete
  4. No plans for me. Just a relaxing weekend at home. I vowed to try to read a scary book this weekend. We will see how that goes haha. Have a great weekend!
    Britt @ Spare Time Book blog
    My STS: https://sparetimebookblog.blogspot.com/2018/10/stacking-shelves.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope the scary book reading happened. Such a great time of year for it!

      Delete
  5. They certainly were right when they said you can't pick your family! You have a few idiots there I'd love to come and sort out for you!!! Sometimes the dubbing or translated subtitles can be funny but obviously not this time!

    I've preordered The Devil's Fingers which I'm looking forward to and I grabbed The Slender Man one as well. I'm so intrigued by the whole Slender Man thing. This weekend I'll be parked in front of the TV and hoping that we have a guy coming to look at the garden tomorrow who might do the fences for us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love for you to come help - what a blast we'd have. I'm enjoying Slender Man on the whole and hope to get my review up Tuesday or Wednesday. Hope the fence thing is finally taking off!

      Delete
  6. Tempting books! My week was a bit chaotic, so now I'm hoping for peace and quiet. LOL

    Here are MY WEEKLY UPDATES

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Scream and Scream again looks good. Hope you have a great weekend. - Katie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie - hope you enjoyed yours too!

      Delete
  8. Glad you had reinforcement, Barb! And I plan to read, watch some spooky movies, and read some more myself. I could almost hear your scream here about Prince! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I bet you could. It has some of the best photos ever!

      Delete
  9. Too bad about the zombie movie. I remember when I was young my brother use to was Godzilla movies and they were dubbed over, it was funny to watch. Enjoy all your new reads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least we got some good laughs out of it.

      Delete
  10. My audio hold came in for Scream and Scream Again too, so I hope I can get to it soon! I'm also curious about Slender Man, I'm loving the positive reviews it has gotten so far.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks like Scream and Scream Again will be a fun one. I'm enjoying Slender Man. It's told in epistolary form which I really like.

      Delete
  11. I miss music too when I get away from it for a while. It's funny how as a kid music was everywhere, but as an adult I have to make an effort lol?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love R.L. Stine and seeing one of his books on your blog made me miss reading his books!

    I hope the next zombie movie you watch will be better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We watched Hotel Artemis this weekend which I really liked - no zombies but so much better!

      Delete
  13. I’m glad Gpa is okay. I can relate to having stupid, useless family members! I read a ton of RL Stine books when I was a preteen. I’d like to reread one and see what I think of them now. Have a great week!

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes it's fun to go back and visit those childhood books huh?

      Delete
  14. oooh, The Mere Wife and Con Artist are two that I've had on my TBR for far too long -- I'm looking forward to your reviews -- and of the Boy in the Keyhole. That one came together for me by the ending.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked it. I didn't care much for it but that's what's great about books huh? The Con Artist looks like so much fun.

      Delete
  15. lol, the dog should always be bigger than the house!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am glad that Grandpa is doing okay but boo on family that are not doing their part. Nice new reads, Barb. I hope you enjoy them all!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sorry you're having family issues. But isn't that just always the way? I know my little wiener dogs think they're bigger than everything and everyone. I want to read that Slenderman book! Oh yeah, love the Prince book. :-) Thanks for stopping by my Sunday Post at Lisa Loves Literature earlier! Sorry it took me so long to get back to yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Slender Man is a fun read and so quick. Hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  18. Love your opening comment. I have a copy of The Devil's Fingers and I can hardly wait to start reading it. Did you see the video for them that Hunter Shea shard in the newsletter? Veeeery creepy.
    sherry @ fundinmental Sunday Memes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I'll have to go back and check it out!

      Delete
  19. I hate family issues. I know we all have them but sometimes it just drags you down. I am glad your grandpa is doing okay. I hope you enjoy the new books.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary. Yep, family can sure drive you crazy at times.

      Delete