Thursday, August 29, 2024

2 Bloggers 1 Series - Grave Peril (The Dresden Files #3)

 


So far, I'm managing to keep up with the monthly Dresden file readalong.  I am really enjoying the series but have to admit I found this one a bit slower than the previous one. Don't get me wrong though, I'm still enjoying it. So read on for my thoughts and then hop over to Stormi's and see hers.

 

TITLE: Grave Peril (The Dresden Files #3)
AUTHOR: Jim Butcher
PUBLISHER: ROC
PUBLISHING DATE: September 1, 2001
PAGES: 378   
SOURCE: Library


FROM GOODREADS: Harry Dresden has faced some pretty terrifying foes during his career. Giant scorpions. Oversexed vampires. Psychotic werewolves. It comes with the territory when you're the only professional wizard in the Chicago-area phone book. 
But in all Harry's years of supernatural sleuthing, he's never faced anything like this: The spirit world has gone postal. All over Chicago, ghosts are causing trouble - and not just of the door-slamming, boo-shouting variety. These ghosts are tormented, violent, and deadly. Someone - or something - is purposely stirring them up to wreak unearthly havoc. But why? And why do so many of the victims have ties to Harry? If Harry doesn't figure it out soon, he could wind up a ghost himself....

MY THOUGHTS: Slowly but surely, Harry is encountering all of my favorite supernatural beings.  And seriously, I'm starting to think "Trouble" is actually his middle name.

Harry and his friend, Michael, who is a demon-hunting knight, are fresh off a case which happened off scene. Now, Chicago is being terrorized by ghosts each night - and not the Casper kind.  These ghosts are infiltrating people's nightmares and causing some serious bodily and mental damage.  Harry quickly learns that they are tied to baddie he and Michael last fought so we get to see what unfolded off-book while the story progressed.  To make matters worse, Harry had to return to Nevernever to figure out what is going on which has his Fairy Godmother hot on his tail again. And finally, to top it all off, the vampires are in town and Harry can't work fast enough to find out how everything ties together.

I had a harder time getting invested in this book, but I think it was because it kept referencing a case the reader never encountered.  However, once all the pieces fell into place, I started enjoying it more.  We get to see how Harry and Susan's relationship has developed but I admit I was saddened that Murphy didn't have a bigger role.

Overall, this is another solid installment in Harry's ever-growing adventures.  I'm excited to see what happens next and I'm sure I can't imagine the trouble he will find next.

MY RATING: 4 PAWS



4 comments:

  1. I love this series! This isn't my favorite one, but it's still good. And I love Michael. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every time you and Stormi review one of these books, I want to jump in and read it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this series but there is SO much more trouble to come.

    Anne - Books of My Heart

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still haven't completed this series - I think I got up to No.8 - so looking up the author just now I think I have a lot of catching up!
    Lynn :D

    ReplyDelete