Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Waiting on Wednesday (83)




"Waiting on" Wednesday" is weekly meme hosted over at Breaking the Spine which spotlights upcoming anticipated releases.









April 25, 2017

FROM GOODREADS: Before Salem, there was Manningtree. . . .

This summer, my brother Matthew set himself to killing women, but without ever once breaking the law.
Essex, England, 1645. With a heavy heart, Alice Hopkins returns to the small town she grew up in. Widowed, with child, and without prospects, she is forced to find refuge at the house of her younger brother, Matthew. In the five years she has been gone, the boy she knew has become a man of influence and wealth but more has changed than merely his fortunes. Alice fears that even as the cruel burns of a childhood accident still mark his face, something terrible has scarred Matthew s soul.
There is a new darkness in the town, too frightened whispers are stirring in the streets, and Alice s blood runs cold with dread when she discovers that Matthew is a ruthless hunter of suspected witches. Torn between devotion to her brother and horror at what he s become, Alice is desperate to intervene and deathly afraid of the consequences. But as Matthew s reign of terror spreads, Alice must choose between her safety and her soul.
Alone and surrounded by suspicious eyes, Alice seeks out the fuel firing her brother s brutal mission and is drawn into the Hopkins family s past. There she finds secrets nested within secrets: and at their heart, the poisonous truth. Only by putting her own life and liberty in peril can she defeat this darkest of evils before more innocent women are forced to the gallows.
Inspired by the real-life story of notorious Witchfinder General Matthew Hopkins, Beth Underdown s thrilling debut novel blends spellbinding history with harrowing storytelling for a truly haunting reading experience. 

WHY I'M WAITING:  I've read more historical fiction this year than any previous ones and find that I enjoy it from time to time.  Since this one has to do with witches, it has a good chance of holding my attention. 

What are you waiting for this week???
 

11 comments:

  1. Interesting to have a book about the witch trials from this viewpoint. Hope you grab it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The quote in bold up there is so creepy, and just creates such a haunted vibe about the whole book/blurb! Great choice! Here's mine: http://editingeverything.com/blog/2016/11/23/waiting-wednesday-738-days/

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is new to me, but wow, it sounds great! I also love stories that deal with witches:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never heard of this one but it does sound interesting! I hope you love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't heard of this one yet, but it sounds right up my alley! Terrific pick Barb! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh, I'm so excited about this one. I actually got an ARC of it so I hope to be reading it soon. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the sound of this one and think it would be something I would really enjoy. It goes onto the list.
    Lynn :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a real WOW, Barb!! I'm interested in reading about witches myself, and haven't read any good historical fiction in a while. (Well, to be honest, the 'historical fiction' I've read in the past has been mostly historical romance, lol. But I did read a book about Nicholas and Alexandra several years ago. Nothing much since then, though....lol.)

    I've already read a couple of Goodreads reviews about this book, and am totally intrigued by it! Adding to that intrigue is the fact that it's based on a real person who was unfortunately part of England's history.

    Thanks for sharing!!! Happy Thanksgiving!! <3 :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This one's new to me, but I like the sound of historical fiction mixed with some darker themes. It sounds incredibly atmospheric. Thanks for putting it on my radar!

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great cover and title! I love historical fiction. If this one's not toooo creepy, I might have to add that to my TBR pile!

    ReplyDelete