Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Can't Wait Wednesday (107) - The Definitely Odd Edition


Can't Wait Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted at Wishful Endings to spotlight highly anticipated books.  It is based on the Waiting on Wednesday meme which used to be hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine. 














FROM GOODREADS: Sixteen-year-old Walt thinks he’s left his problems behind him when he runs away from a broken home to live with his eccentric uncle. The simple, semi-rural, semi-anti-social lifestyle seems at first to be exactly what Walt wants, but he soon learns his new life isn’t just about ditching school and drinking beer with his friends.

Uncle Brucker is a Rat Killer; a tireless rat tracker, an expert in rat lore, a speaker of the rat language, and a decorated veteran of two bloody uprisings. His uncle begins to train Walt in the ways of rat killing, and explains to his nephew the ancient and bloody history of men and rats. Before the rise of men, he says, rats ruled the earth. They’ve been hiding in another dimension ever since they were kicked out by humanity, planning to retake the planet.

In the middle of Walt’s training, Uncle Brucker is called away by mysterious men from the government. When he fails to return from his mission, Walt discovers a portal to the rat dimension and realizes he must travel alone to Rat Land to save his uncle. Perhaps the most unusual dark fantasy debut of the year, Uncle Brucker the Rat Killer is a surreal exploration of honor, duty, and inter-dimensional genocide.


WHY I CAN'T WAIT:  Every once in a while I stumble across a book that sounds so odd and so weird that I have to give it a try.  That's what happened with this one and now I'm counting the days.  

What book can't you wait for this week???


42 comments:

  1. This does sound totally different doesn't it? I'm kind of intrigued by the idea of it. Interesting cover too! I'll be interested in seeing some reviews on this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, it was just odd enough to catch my eye. I even forget how I stumbled across it.

      Delete
  2. It's funny which ones strike us like that. Hope you have fun with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It better be a fun read as crazy as it sounds.

      Delete
  3. Well that... that definitely does sound odd lol. Never seen a book about a rat dimension before! Looking forward to seeing what you think after reading it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, how to people come up with these ideas. Hope it's done well.

      Delete
  4. Oh, IA, this is one of the oddest books I've ever seen. Hands down. Awesome pick lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Can't wait to see what it's all about.

      Delete
  5. This does sound weird but wonderful! Although I like rats so I don't really want them killed:-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have anything against them as long as there aren't tons of them. This should be a interesting and wacky read.

      Delete
  6. Great pick! I can't wait to read some reviews of this one. I'm adding it to my TBR list now. I have never read anything like this, but it sounds interesting.

    http://jacquesbooknook.blogspot.com/2017/05/waiting-on-wednesday-becoming-of-noah.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. It does sound odd! Hope you enjoy reading it!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's like you said, "I want something weird." And the universe complied. It sounds interesting though. I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to know sometimes the universe and I are on the same page.

      Delete
  9. It is different, I'll give you that. LOL Sometimes trying something outside your normal reads reveals a hidden gem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes different is good - hope this is one of them.

      Delete
  10. This does sound odd, but if done well, it could be quite entertaining. I hope you love it!
    Sam @ WLABB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leslie Peter WulffMay 25, 2017 at 7:58 AM

      I hope you love out too. I had a great time writing it, Now it's your turn.

      Delete
    2. Thanks and I can't wait to see what you've come up with!

      Delete
    3. Leslie Peter WulffJune 6, 2017 at 1:51 PM

      I can't wait to hear what you think.

      Delete
  11. I love odd and weird:) I hope you enjoy this one, Barb!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Odd for sure! Color me intrigued for this one!

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right. Sounds like such a different concept.

      Delete
  13. Oh my gosh another rat book? lol seriously though yeah this one is definitely different, but I don't know- it sounds fun! I hope it's good! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leslie Peter WulffMay 25, 2017 at 11:39 AM

      With a title like that, it better be good. Right?

      Delete
    2. Awesome title. I'll be glad to get my hands on it.

      Delete
  14. hahaha This does sound weird but also fun? "A portal to the rat dimension" made me giggle. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It should be fun to read about but that's a portal I hope I never find.

      Delete
  15. WOW I can honestly say this one caught me by surprise and made me wonder for sure. Rats rule the world, wow.

    ReplyDelete
  16. yes! bring all the oddities and weirdness on!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Someone has to kill them rats :) I hope you love this one, Barb and if you do, I'm sure you'll talk me into buying it, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, Barb.....wish I could get excited about this book, but I just can't.... The mere mention of RATS makes me shudder! Lol. You would think that someone who LOVES reading about vamps and werewolves would also want to read this type of book, right? Lol. But no, I can't handle it....As always, though, I do hope you enjoy reading it!!

    Thanks for commenting on my CWW post!! Have a GREAT weekend, and say "Woof, woof!!" to the boys!! HUGS!!! 💖😘💖😘💖😘💖😘

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it is quite a stretch from vamps and werewolves to rats. It is quite possible to run into rats but I doubt the same is true with the others.

      Delete
  19. Unique concept for the story ~ Hope you enjoy it!

    Renee - My CWW

    ReplyDelete