Tuesday, March 8, 2016

TTT - Characters Everyone Loves I Don't and Vice Versa

This top 10 weekly meme is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish and can be found HERE.  Each week they focus on lists which cover various topics related to books and reading. This week we are looking at characters everyone loves that I just don't get, or characters I love that others seem to dislike.  I find this a rather challenging topic, so I think I am just going to name three from both perspectives.

CHARACTERS I LOVE THAT OTHERS DISLIKE:

Lizzie Borden.  Now I know she was a murderer, but Purdy is really able to capture what drove Lizzie to behave the way she did and left me wondering why she didn't kill more people. 

Steve and Erwin from The Library at Mount Char.  This is one confusing book, which I actually enjoyed.  Neither were very redeeming characters but I had a soft spot for them by the end. 

Captain Hook.  I will be the first to admit I didn't like this book and will probably never read another Peter Pan retelling, but I did feel sorry for Hook and grew to love him along the way.

CHARACTERS I DISLIKE THAT OTHERS LOVE:

Bella Swan.  I won't bash Twilight because when they came out, I had to read them like everyone else.  However, I never really liked Bella at all, and the movies only made my contempt for her worse.

Feyre.  I ended up giving this book 4 paws, which says a lot about Maas' writing and its redeeming end because throughout most of it, I couldn't stand Feyre.  I am still not sure I like her, but am looking forward to the next installment.  I think it's because I like Tamlin and Lucien so much.

Alice in Wonderland.  In my review I said I found Alice to be a whiny little brat who was never happy with anything.  Yep, that opinion still stands.

So, do you agree or disagree with any of my thoughts?  Like I said, I am not bashing any particular work, this is just how I feel.

 

11 comments:

  1. Team Lucien all the way! I just love and adore Lucien from ACOTAR and I totally agree with you about Bella Ugh I couldn't stand her either! Thank you for your awesome post my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so bad at remembering characters. I really liked The Library at Mount Char but I don't remember who Steve and Erwin are in the book. I would have to agree that Bella is rather annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Only read a couple of those books that you did though I do have Alias Hook, but not read it. I hated Bella, didn't want to read the rest of the books after Twilight but had a friend who begged me to read them so she would have someone to chat about the books with, so I suffered through them and it never changed my mind about the series. I also have ACOTAR so little more curious now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think most of us hate Bella, well at least I do! I always liked the series, but her character is awful. The movies she was worse. Sitting there in that chair just waiting for Edward...ugh! :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Completely agree with Bella and Feyre - both of those characters irked me in some way making me question actually finishing the books. Alas, I did for the story and the other characters but I strongly disliked them.

    My TTT :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I completely agree about Bella. I also really liked Twilight when it came out but I was never really fond of Bella. I was neutral about Feyre, I did not love her but I didn't hate her either - I'm curious to see how she will evolve in the second book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's interesting to see Lizzie on this list! I think I am going to have to check out that book :)

    My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never understood why people like Bella. She's such a passive, whiny character. It's hard to sympathize with her.

    ReplyDelete
  9. See, I did wonder if I would have loved ACOTAR as much if I'd been familiar with Maas's writing beforehand. Because it was my first time trying any of her books I was absolutely blown away, but I didn't like Feyre at all!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I also had Bella and Feyre on my list. I liked the book but then I like the different take on the Beauty and Beast theme.
    Lynn :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had Feyre on my list this week too.
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2016/03/08/top-ten-tuesday-47/

    ReplyDelete