Tuesday, June 7, 2016

TTT - Ten Reasons I Love HORROR!!!!


This top 10 weekly meme is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish and can be found HERE.  Each week they focus on lists which cover various topics related to books and reading.  This week is basically a free week which focuses on 10 reasons I love ______________.  I chose HORROR because it's one of my favorite genres for books and movies and I am sure I will be able to gush about endlessly.


1.  There is tons to choose from.  Whether it's good horror movies, or even bad one and B-rated ones, I can almost always find some movie to watch on Direct TV, Amazon or Netflix.  Even when you know they will be bad and campy, there is always something to talk about.  There are also a lot of good horror books out there but I admit, you have to search a tad longer to find them.



2.  It is something I can share with my husband.  Horror and scary things are something we both love so it's something we can talk about and share together.  We each have our favorites, but we love finding new movies together.  Also, at least when I am reading a horror book, I can talk about it with him and know that he is probably is interested vs. when I am reading another genre.

3.  HALLOWEEN!!!!  To me this holiday ranks right up there with Christmas.



4.  Reading a spooky book on a dark, rainy night.  Or better yet, a dark snowy one.  For some reason, I find snowy scenes absolutely terrifying at times. 

5.  Supernatural creatures.  Zombies, vampires, witches, werewolves, and the list goes on and on.  There is so much creativity which goes into creating these creatures both in film and in books. 

6.  Stephen King.  Need I say more?

7.  Not so supernatural creatures.  Sure I covered the obvious, but let's not forget the horror media which has terrified us with things that actually exist - sharks, snakes (yuk!), rabid dogs, serial killers and humans, who are sometimes the most scariest of all.



8.  Being terrified.  Many may not see this as something good, and sometimes it isn't, but who can forget the adrenaline they felt when something happened which absolutely scared the crap out of them.

9.  Most of it is make-believe.  At the end of the day, we know a lot of what we read about and watch will almost never happen, or at least never happen to us, so it's a good way to lose yourself for awhile and escape into a world which makes you current situation look not so bad. 

10. My Dad.  I lost my Dad almost 3 years ago and he was a very busy, hard-working man.  We didn't do a whole lot of things together but we always enjoyed watching a good horror movie/TV show together.   I am sure he started my love of this genre years ago and not a day goes by I don't think of him!




So please share your thoughts and let me know if you can think of any more reasons why horror is the best.


10 comments:

  1. My mom loved horror and I remember her and my dad always renting some horrid movie to watch when I was a kid. I wasn't a horror fan till later. I did try to watch Texas Chainsaw Massacre with them when I was about 11 and I made it till I heard the chainsaw and I was like nope...lol. Now I love it and it was because of my mom that I read my first Stephen King book cause it was her book I grabbed up when I was about 12 to try and read....lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES!! I love books that terrify me and especially those about things that really exist! Those are even more terrifying somehow. Great list! :D

    Here are my Top Ten!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes, great pick for this weeks topic! Love that it means nearly all our posts are about something different. I get so scared watching horror movies that it makes my fiance laugh, but I get truly frightened haha. Which I guess is the whole point. It's good that this was something you and your father had in common and could do together, must be nice to have memories of that. I enjoy watching horror films and TV shows, they keep me on the edge of my seat and I love that. You can check my TTT post out here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also love horror! Halloween is definitely my favourite time of the year, you can't beat the costumes and the spookiness :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great list!!! I love horror as well. Halloween is definitely my fave holiday. I love all your reasons on here as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I love this genre too, especially when genres can be mixed up. :)


    Check out my TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love some good horror too but I haven't found much good stuff as of late it's all going for pure shock value or it's these conjuring and paranormal activity which I find *roll my eyes at* rather than scary. Side note I'm also stoked for Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I was a kid, my friend and I loved nothing more than to come upon a Dracula movie on a random Saturday. (But that was back before video rentals and all that - so you were at the whims of whatever the networks would show. AND it was before scray movies really got SCARY!)

    I have too active of an imagination to read/watch horror. Especially the kind with "not so supernatural creatures" because then I imagine every sound IS that creature. The last (only?) scary book I read was "The Shining." That scared (and scarred) me enough to never read another. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes I absolutely love horror films I always watch them when I can especially the 1980's horror films which were my favorite year for horror films. But I don't read enough of horror books which I really need to remedy that because I totally love horror books and I totally agree with you about That snowy scenes are absolutely terrifying at times especially at the night time. Thank you for your awesome post my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love horror-whether it's demons, sharks, mutant spiders, psychos, zombies, dinosaurs-I love the genre!

    ReplyDelete