Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Waiting on Wednesday (92) - The One Where Cassius Demands Equal Time

"Waiting on" Wednesday" is weekly meme hosted over at Breaking the Spine which spotlights upcoming anticipated releases.

So everyone knows my brother, Booker T (look left if you are a first-time visitor), but I decided it was high time I got some credit here at The Farm so I'm taking over today and sharing with you 2 books I can't wait to arrive at our home!







FROM GOODREADS: Birds are usually loved for their beauty and their song. They symbolize freedom, eternal life, the soul.

There’s definitely a dark side to the avian. Birds of prey sometimes kill other birds (the shrike), destroy other birds’ eggs (blue jays), and even have been known to kill small animals (the kea sometimes eats live lambs). And who isn’t disgusted by birds that eat the dead—vultures awaiting their next meal as the life blood flows from the dying. One of our greatest fears is of being eaten by vultures before we’re quite dead.

Is it any wonder that with so many interpretations of the avian, that the contributors herein are eager to be transformed or influenced by them? Included in Black Feathers are those obsessed by birds of one type or another. Do they want to become birds or just take on some of the “power” of birds? The presence or absence of birds portends the future. A grieving widow takes comfort in her majestic winged neighbors, who enable her to cope with a predatory relative. An isolated society of women relies on a bird to tell their fortunes. A silent young girl and her pet bird might be the only hope a detective has of tracking down a serial killer in a tourist town. A chatty parrot makes illegal deals with the dying. A troubled man lives in isolation with only one friend for company—a jackdaw.

In each of these fictions, you will encounter the dark resonance between the human and avian. You see in yourself the savagery of a predator, the shrewd stalking of a hunter, and you are lured by birds that speak human language, that make beautiful music, that cypher numbers, and seem to have a moral center. You wade into this feathered nightmare, and brave the horror of death, trading your safety and sanity for that which we all seek—the promise of flight.


WHY I'M WAITING:  I love birds.  It's no big secret.  I am known as "The Bird Whisperer" on The Farm. I think the book is a perfect mix of birds for me and horror for mom. 




FROM GOODREADS: Only a rag-tag team of gargoyles stands between humanity and extinction.

Hell has released its ravening horde of demons, leaving most of humanity a puke-spewing, head-spinning mess of possession.

Humanity’s last hope? A team of misfit gargoyles—including a cigar chomping, hard-ass grotesque—come alive and ready for battle during the End of Days. They guard the last cathedral-turned-sanctuary atop a bald knoll in the North Carolina mountains.

Gargoyle protection grudgingly extends to any human who can make it inside the Sanctuary, but the power of the stonecutter blood magic, which protects the sanctuary, may not be enough when a rogue grotesque and his badly-wounded ward arrive.

All the hounds of hell are on their heels. The last Sanctuary is about to fall.


WHY I'M WAITING:  I happen to know Mom has a thing for gargoyles (and Booker T thinks he's the only smart one).  So obviously, I get my love of flying this honestly.  I knew this was a book for her and couldn't resist adding it too! 



So what are you waiting for this week???
PS - Mom just learned that someone new is hosting this so it is now called Can't-Wait Wednesday hosted by Wishful Endings.  I'll link up there today and change the title next week.  Thanks for doing this Tressa! 

36 comments:

  1. Black Feathers gave me the shivers! Stone Cold Bastards made me lol at the title, but god, it sounds amazingly good! here's mine: http://editingeverything.com/blog/2017/01/25/waiting-wednesday-dimple-met-rishi/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to be reading Black Feathers soon, and I love gargoyles too, so I'll have to check out Stone Cold Bastard. Great choices, Cassius!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you've got a couple books to be ready for! Hope you are able to get your hands on them soon!
    Check out my Wednesday Post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and thanks, hope I love them.

      Delete
  4. Oh yeah! Both of these sound great. That cover is fabulous for Black Feathers and love the title Stone Cold Bastards.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's right Cassius, you demand your rights! I'm liking the sound of Stone Cold Bastards! Oh and just wanted you to tell your mummy that I liked Envy of Angels and thought it was funny...Monsieur Udders cracked me up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Mom will be thrilled you enjoyed it - wait until you meet the Killer Easter Bunny" - Cassius.

      Delete
  6. Anything with Ellen Datlow's name on it makes me look closer. Sounds fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not read anything from her but I'll have to look up her other stuff.

      Delete
  7. I like birds and gargoyles always interest me as well, so I'm glad you shared! Thanks for linking up too!! :)

    Tressa @ Wishful Endings

    ReplyDelete
  8. What very intriguing choices. Thanks for the info about the switch in host too.
    Lynn :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. I happened to stumble on it today by accident too.

      Delete
  9. These two sound interesting, I hope you enjoy them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah, Cassius, you should definitely get your share of the limelight! :)

    When folks say it's a "dog-eat-dog world" I usually say, no - it's a bird-eat-bird world! :) (Re: your top 10 post, I read Dog On It last year and reallly enjoyed it. Gotta love Chet.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cassius deserves blog time too. Can't wait to get to the Chet and Oberon books.

      Delete
  11. Both of these sound great!! I better go check Goodreads to make sure they are on my to read list. 😀😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good thing I checked because I didn't have either on there LOL. Thanks putting these on my radar!

      Delete
  12. I got a copy of Black Feathers from the publisher, I hope I can get to it soon!

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too because I can't wait to read your review,

      Delete
  13. Great picks! Stone Cold Bastards sounds especially intriguing. Love that title!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well, hi there, Cassius! I'm glad it's YOUR turn today! Booker T. just has to cool his heels (or paws!) today and let YOU take center stage! WOOF, WOOF!!

    I really like one of your choices -- "Stone Cold Bastards". Although I do think the title could have been better, I do LOVE the plot! I wanna see those gargoyles kick demon butt!! So thanks so much for the feature! (Psst! Don't tell Booker T., but YOU might have better taste than HIM. Lol.)

    Please thank your mom for allowing you to take over today! Also, tell your brother to chiil. I'm sure Mom will let him take his turn next week!)

    Also, give Mom some doggie hugs for me!! AAAARF, AAAARF!! ("Have a nice weekend, in 'dogspeak'!) <3 <3 <3 :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Booker T and Cassius say thanks for the compliments and send doggy hugs and kisses your way. Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Okay so I have to admit I have a fear of most feathered creatures (I've been attacked by geese and chickens/roosters in the past) so yeah they creep me out lol so not sure there. But Gargoyles, I loved the cartoon growing up and haven't found much about them so this could be cool!

    ReplyDelete
  17. HA! Love love love this post! Wtg Cassius! It was about time! Omg You are as adorable as your brother BUT I like your name better (hush! Don't go bragging about to your brother now!) and you are definitely as smart as he is. You DO know your mom! I give u that! She loves hellish things and that's why I love her blog! Sooooooooooooo I'm sooooooo looking forward to her review of Stone Cold Bastards are you kidding me with that title??? Pure awesomeness and then "puke-spewing, head-spinning mess of possession" say NO more. I want to hear about this book! Tell your mom ASAP please!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ugh it's good your mom already knows this is really dragonfly! Stupid iPhone doesn't let me sign out of that gmail account!!! 😡

    ReplyDelete