Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Can't Wait Wednesday (102) - The Royal Edition

Can't Wait Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted at Wishful Endings to spotlight highly anticipated books.  It is based on the Waiting on Wednesday meme which used to be hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine. 

This week I'm sharing two books which I will definitely be pre-ordering.  They will be a great addition to my Prince collection!






DESCRIPTION: When Prince wanted to document his One Nite Alone tour in 2002, he turned to Afshin Shahidi. Again in 2004, he went along on Prince’s record breaking Musicology Tour. Afshin met Prince in 1989 and became his cinematographer and later his photographer. He was the photographer closest to Prince for the last fifteen years of Prince’s life. Afshin is the only photographer to shoot the legendary 3121 private parties in Los Angeles that became the most sought after invitations in Hollywood.


Prince: A Private View compiles his work into a journey through Prince's extraordinary life. With many never-before-seen photos, this is the ultimate collection of – some intimate, some candid, some in concert – shots of Prince, but all are carefully directed in the artist-as-art style that we associate with him. Deep photo captions are brief, but complete stories about Prince's life at that moment - some are incisive, others are personal and even funny.


DESCRIPTION: PICTURING PRINCE sees the late icon's former art director, STEVE PARKE, revealing stunning intimate photographs of the singer from his time working at Paisley Park. At least half of the images in the book are exclusively published here for the first time; most other images in the book are rare to the public eye.
Alongside these remarkable images are fifty engaging, poignant and often funny written vignettes by Parke, which reveal the very human man behind the reclusive superstar: from shooting hoops to renting out movie theatres at 4am; from midnight requests for camels to meaningful conversations that shed light on Prince as a man and artist.
STEVE PARKE started working with Prince in 1988, after a mutual friend showed Prince some of Steve's photorealistic paintings. He designed everything from album covers and merchandise to sets for Prince's tours and videos. Somewhere in all of this, he became Paisley Park's official art director. He began photographing Prince at the request of the star himself, and continued to do so for the next several years. The images in this book are the arresting result of this collaboration.

WHY I CAN'T WAIT:  Really???  I won't even insult you with a reason my friends!

So what can't you wait for this week (beside my crazy font to go back to normal!!!)

36 comments:

  1. You're going to be very excited until you manage to grab these bad boys! I hope both of them live up to expectations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They will be great to have in my collection and both of them seem to be featuring a lot of lesser known photos. Such a long wait though.

      Delete
  2. Well knowing how you adore Prince I can say these are no surprise at all! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope. I bet some are tired of my Prince posts but my original tag tomorrow is the last one - I promise.

      Delete
  3. This doesn't surprise me and at least you didn't add to my list today. :)

    ReplyDelete

  4. So, from this I guess you might have a thing for Prince huh? ;) Excellent pick! Here's mine:http://editingeverything.com/blog/2017/04/19/waiting-oncantwait-wednesday-two-roads-ya-sliding-doors/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's probably an understatement. I've loved him for years. I wanted to do some post this month and especially this week since Friday is the one-year anniversary of his death.

      Delete
  5. I can feel your excitement I can feel it. It's PRINCE :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Two Prince books? You must be over the moon:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep and they will go great with the ones I just ordered this week (I think it's a problem - I knew there would be a lot released around the time of his death this year but didn't know how much).

      Delete
  7. I hope they're both great! And I hear ya on the blogger font issues. It drives me crazy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok...I remember someone had mentioned font issues recently and now that you mention it, I think it was you. I really don't understand blogger's mind sometimes.

      Delete
  8. These both look great and look like they'd be fabulous adds for a Prince fan. I'll bet there's some great stuff here...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm excited to see the pics that haven't been published before.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Oh it would take a lot for me to NOT like them :)

      Delete
  10. I don't read a lot of non-fiction, but something makes me think any story starring Prince will be really interesting.
    Sam @ WLABB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was definitely a unique person. Reading the Mayte Garcia book this month was really an eye opener. I still LOVE him but man, he was difficult!

      Delete
  11. Oh wow, I bet there are going to be so many amazing photos in these books. I hope you love them when they come out!

    ReplyDelete
  12. After finding out about your love for all books about Prince in your Top Ten Tuesday this week, I can understand your excitement for not one but two new additions to your to-read shelf! Hope you enjoy them when they come out :)

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, my love goes deep. Always wanted to see him in concert. However, I hate crowds now that I'm older so I guess it's a good thing I didn't.

      Delete
  13. I'm not a huge Prince fan, but I do think he's interesting. I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting...odd and everything in between.

      Delete
  14. Thinking both books will have fascinating insights into Prince. Hope you love them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep scouring all the publications for little tidbits I never knew before. Someday I'm sure I'll run out of new material.

      Delete
  15. Very interesting; I look forward to checking both of these out of my library when they come out!

    My CWW: http://tsundokubooks.blogspot.com/2017/04/cant-wait-wednesday-language-of-thorns.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool. I bet my library here won't even get them!

      Delete
  16. There have been some great books about Prince coming out lately. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on all of them myself. Great pick! Thanks for stopping by my Wednesday post on Lisa Loves Literature earlier!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You know, it's so sad that we've lost so many music icons recently.... Although I was never a big Prince fan (I prefer Michael Jackson), I did like and enjoy his music. And he was obviously a very gentle soul.

    I definitely want to read "The Most Beautiful", the biography written by Mayte Garcia, Prince's ex-wife. It's been classified as an Amazon Bestseller!

    Thanks for sharing!! And thanks as well for commenting on my own CWW post!! Hope you're having a WONDERFUL Saturday!! "Woof, woof" to the boys!! HUGS!!! <3 <3 <3 :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read it two days after its release. I was so conflicted and you can refer to my review. I loved him and thought Mayte was doing this for fame and money. I actually love her and think she wrote a great book. And even though I still love Prince, there were times he was a real jerk!

      Delete