Tuesday, April 25, 2017

TTT - Things That Make Me Instantly NOT Want to Read a Book

This top 10 weekly meme is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish and can be found HERE.  Each week they focus on lists which cover various topics related to books and reading.  Today I'm sharing with you 5 things that make me NOT want to read a book. I didn't think I could come up with 10..












1. Self help books (I'm not against them, I just prefer my reading to be fictional and use it as an escape.  I don't need reminders of how messed up I might be).


2.  Books with animal abuse (I've read a few which mention it after I've already started, but if I know it exists right from the top, I'll usually avoid them altogether).


3. Aliens (I've never had much luck about books with aliens - just visit my Welcome to Night Vale review...or my 5th Wave one).


4.  Books with love triangles (although I read some books with them, if the triangle is the primary focus of the book, and there's nothing else to snag me, I'll skip it.  And I can't believe I've used a Twilight GIF on my blog but it definitely demonstrates the point).


5.  Books with snakes!  (I don't think I need to say anything more).

So what automatically turns you away from a book?  

21 comments:

  1. Yep. Love triangles are near the top of my list. But I find nothing wrong with snakes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my biggest phobia so I really can't do them. I'm getting better, but for the most part - nope.

      Delete
  2. I'm totally with you on animal abuse and love triangles. Both of them are on my hate list! So many people seem to hate love triangles yet all these new UF books seem to be full of them which is frustrating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, if so many people hate them, who the heck is buying them all because that's what people enjoy. The book I just finished "True North" - I thought it was getting ready to introduce a love triangle but it never went there - the new guy is just a friend (at least so far). It's so refreshing.

      Delete
  3. Great list! I am not fond of books with snakes but I do like to read about scary horror snakes for some reason so if there is a horror book with them in it I still read it. Maybe I am just trying to get a good scare. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read a book a while back, The Birthing House, which had pretty snake-centric chapter and I survived. Of course, the THING in Little Heaven sort of seemed snake-like at times to me as well - or maybe I just need ANOTHER reason not to like that book.

      Delete
  4. Love triangles! Nooo! And snakes- would not have thought of that but yeah not particularly fond! And animal abuse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See, I knew snakes were bad. I even had to find a cute one to put on the post as I didn't want no ugly terrifying one on my blog.

      Delete
  5. I read self help books, but mostly because they make me laugh: I love all of the contradictory advice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point. They do that a lot don't they?

      Delete
  6. I don't think I could sleep at night if I read a book with snakes. Yuck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great list, Barb! I don't like to read self-help books in general either (although sometimes I have read one I liked). Mostly I find them to be common sense and wonder why I need a book to tell me all that. Animal cruelty made my list too. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen it on quite a few which makes me very happy :)

      Delete
  8. No more love triangles, please! Animal abuse is a huge no for me too. If it's in a book, there should be a warning about it. Snakes. I can take those. But what about spiders. Yikes. Fun post:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lol you have snakes on the brain this week? I don't really have a fear of snakes, not any more than the average person in that I just don't want to be bitten by one. Not a fan of self help books though. Aliens, idk. Don't dislike them but I guess I haven't found an alien book I really loved either!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Self-help books aren't my thing either, and books that feature animal abuse are hard for me to read. I got nothing against aliens or snakes though! And love triangles can be hit or miss depending on how it is handled.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hate love triangles! They just annoy me!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't like books with animal abuse either! That just makes me sad.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't had much luck with Aliens either although I adored Sleeping Giants!

    ReplyDelete
  14. yup I don't read Self help books either. I haven't run into a book with animal book yet THANK GOD! I know I wouldn't like that either. Snakes don't bother me. I used to have one as a pet :)

    ReplyDelete