Friday, September 1, 2017

Weekly Reads (09/01/17)



I can't believe it's September. Man, time sure has flown!  Before you know it, it will be Halloween and then Thanksgiving.  However, it is once again football season and I am loving it!  We did take the pups down to see Grandpa last Friday afternoon and they loved it.  He had a good time as well. The only downside is that Cassius accidentally headbutted me HARD getting out of the car in the mouth and busted my lip and jarred my teeth so I've been nursing that all week.  He didn't mean to and we still had a nice time - at least the bleeding was minimal.

We managed to watch a couple of movies this past week.  First up was "Bushwick" which is a modern New York tale where a new Civil War has broken out.  It was entertaining enough but then the ending SUCKED.  I looked at my husband and was like "So that was it?"  Then we watched "The Mummy."  Now the effects were pretty good and it was very entertaining but I don't like when they take horror movies and throw in humor.  However, I will say Tom Cruise did a fine job playing an annoying crooked man.

I got some reading done and as you will see with a few posts new week, I am already starting on some Halloween reading.  Stormi convinced me to do the Halloween Bingo Challenge on Booklikes and although it's been a learning curve on that sight, I am glad she talked me into it.  Next week I'll share my August Wrap-Up and September plans.  So here's what is up next on the reading stack.  I have already started "When I Am Through With You" and so far I'm liking it better than the last book I read by this author.


I want to send some special thoughts and prayers to all the people and animals effected by Hurricane Harvey.  The devastation has been horrible.

So what have you guys been up to this past week and what are you future plans?  Anything fun?



18 comments:

  1. Ooh I can't wait for all the Halloween and October stuff. :) I love this time of year. When I Am Through and Dial Meow for Murder both look good. I guess Cassius is not one to butt heads with huh? :) Hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, his head is REALLY hard. I am almost at 90% so I'm on the mend. I'm half way through with When I Am Through With You and it would be pretty good if someone would hurry up and die!

      Delete
  2. I'm afraid I had way too many issues trying to set up the basic functions on Booklikes so I just deleted my account and I'll stick with Goodreads! Auch! Sounds like a sore one you got from Cass! Time has passed quickly this year but we're getting into my two favourite seasons now and lots of reading and watching to look forward to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am struggling with it and will mainly be using it for this bingo thing. Don't worry though, everything will also be posted on this blog too!

      Delete
  3. I had to laugh at your description of Tom Cruise in The Mummy -- it's very apt, and very true. Looking forward to your review of When I am Through with you as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it though. I was telling a friend, no matter what movie he is in, it seems all his characters are the same - and they're just "Tom Cruise."

      Delete
  4. Doggie head butts are never fun. It has happened at our house more than I would like. It sounds like he got you good so I hope you are feeling better. I liked When I Am Through with You and hope you enjoy it as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not too bad. I'm about half done. I am liking it better than Smaller Things which is the last book I read by this author.

      Delete
  5. I want to watch the Mummy, but I was a little skeptical of Cruise because like you said in an above comment, he's always the same kind of character in every movie, I can never get over the fact it's just Tom Cruise being Tom Cruise! I also have fond memories of the original Mummy, so I don't know if I want that part of my childhood ruined :p

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you have really fond memories of the original, do yourself a favor and skip this one :)

      Delete
  6. Can't wait to hear what you think of all of those! I need to get to Dial Meow for Murder soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh no! I hope you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ouch Barb! Yes. kids ca be a hazard, 4 legged ones are not the exception :) hope your lip is better now. To bad about Bushwick's ending yuk. I hate when you sit for an hour plus watching a movie and then WTH was that ending??? My hubby is excited about football season too! Good luck with your bingo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell your husband I hope he gets to watch lots and lot of football. So is he a Patriots fan? You guys live in that area right? Or am I totally having a moment?

      Delete
  9. Hi Barb, I didn't have internet last weekend so I'm catching up with what you are up to.

    I still love Tom Cruise as an actor. I can't help it. I was worried that The Mummy was going to stop the Universal Monsters plans before it ever really got started, but I heard this week that The Mummy did really well in China. Looks like we may get more monster movies after all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The movie was entertaining and if you like Cruise, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I'm glad they are making more too.

      Delete