Thursday, September 21, 2017

Two Bloggers One Book - We Are Always Watching

Once again, Stormi and I chose another Hunter Shea book for our feature this month - "We Are Always Watching."  I had so much fun reading this one and Stormi and I chatted up a bunch about so many aspects of this book.  I've grown to really look forward to our monthly buddy reads and I know I'm always in for a good time, whether we love or dislike the book.  I think this month we were both very pleased with our choice. Make sure you stop by her blog at Books Movies Reviews, Oh My! to see her thoughts as well.

 
TITLE: We Are Always Watching
AUTHOR: Hunter Shea
PUBLISHER: Sinister Grin Press
PUBLISHING DATE: March 1, 2017

FROM GOODREADS:

They’ve watched over the house for generations…

The move from New York to the decrepit Pennsylvania farmhouse is as bad as West Ridley thought it would be. His father’s crippling vertigo only seems to get worse, and even with his mother working herself to the bone, they’re out of money and options.

Grandpa Abraham is a drunk bastard and the living embodiment of the long neglected farmhouse. He claims the place is haunted. Ghosts roam the hall at night and their muffled cries fill the silence of warm, summer nights.

On the ceiling above West’s bed are the words WE SEE YOU. In a house plagued by death and mysterious visitations, West realizes something beyond the fiction of his favorite horror books has to be faced.

Dark secrets are buried deep, and there are Guardians who want to keep it that way. No matter where they go or what they do, West and his family know one thing… they are always watching.


MY THOUGHTS: Over the past year or so I've become a huge fan of Hunter Shea so when my friend and I were looking for a buddy read, this became the obvious choice. "We Are Always Watching" grabbed me right from the start and didn't let go until the end - and that ending! 14-year-old West and his parents have had to move to Pennsylvania to live with his Grandpa Abraham on a rundown, decrepit farm. West's father suffers from severe vertigo which makes him quite handicapped following a car accident and the family has fallen on hard times. West's father hates returning to his childhood home and his mother is busy working so the family can eventually move out.

Immediately from the start, West senses something is wrong. His Grandfather has hinted that the house is haunted and West and the family starts finding messages left on the inside and the outside of the home. Grandpa finally discloses that the house is being watched by The Guardians, who do not like change and disruption. Things start happening around the home such as messages left on mirrors and finding Grandpa passed out and bound outside, but the more people whom the family tells what is happening, the more that happens.

I loved this entire book! Grandpa is an old crotchety drunk and not an very likable character, but ultimately he is trying to keep his family safe, although he is also hiding a lot of secrets. West's parents are just struggling to get by and not lose hold of their family in the process. However, West if by far the best character. First of all, he loves everything horror, in fact, he is initially intrigued that the house might be haunted. West always has his nose stuck in a horror book and he has posters from famous movies plastered all over his bedroom walls. "We Are Always Watching" took a real turn about halfway through the novel and I have to admit, it wasn't what I expected. Without giving too much away, it's best to go into this book with limited knowledge so the reader feels the shock and terror right along with the family.

This was a fun book to buddy read and I feel like I read enough of Shea's work. He's definitely an auto-buy author for me and I can't wait to see what he comes up with next!
 


RATING: 4 PAWS
 

17 comments:

  1. This was a fun one especially once you get to about 60%! :) Even just finishing one of his I kind of want to read another...lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's how I felt and why I had to pick up Money Back Guarantee!

      Delete
  2. I generally don't like ghost and haunted house/evil spirit kind of stories but I do like the author. Maybe I'll try it at some point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should try this one I think you will be surprised. :)

      Delete
    2. I'm with Stormi on this one - definitely pick this one up.

      Delete
  3. Glad both of you really liked this one! I'm excited to meet West.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This would probably freak me out, I'm not a huge horror fan but it does fun too. "is a drunk bastard" lol that cracked me up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's such an interesting character. I almost hated hating him as much as I did.

      Delete
  5. I love that you two keep reading Hunter Shea books. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. for some reason I think Grand parents are great characters in horror movies! and West sounds like us Barb! LOL horror junkie :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. We are pretty horrible for each other's TBR huh?

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. Oops! I hit post before I was ready! haha

      Oh my gosh... hahahah I love it! My TBR has definitely grown by over 100 books since we've "met"!! :)

      Delete