Thursday, September 7, 2017

For Those of Us Who Can't Wait for Riverdale

TITLE: Afterlife With Archie
AUTHOR: Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa
PUBLISHER: Archie Comics
PUBLISHING DATE: June 10, 2014

FROM GOODREADS: When Jughead's beloved pet Hot Dog is killed in a hit and run, Jughead turns to the only person he knows who can help bring back his canine companion—Sabrina the Teenage Witch. Using dark, forbidden magic, Sabrina is successful and Hot Dog returns to the land of the living. But he's not the same... and soon, the darkness he brings back with him from beyond the grave begins to spread, forcing Archie and the gang to try to escape Riverdale! Collects issues 1-5 featuring the first storyline "Escape from Riverdale" from the new ongoing TEEN+ comic book horror series Afterlife with Archie.

MY THOUGHTS: 
So I sought this book after reading "The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina" and loving it so much. While it doesn't quite live up to that book, it is a strong read and I very much enjoyed many things about this graphic novel. The book starts with the death of Jughead's pet, Hot Dog, and Jughead begging Sabrina, the resident witch, to help. Well, without much thought, Sabrina brings Hot Dog back to life, but she should have left well enough alone. Not only do her actions lead to her year-long banishment, but Hot Dog comes back to wreck havoc and spread a zombie virus.

The artwork in this graphic novel is dark and moody, just how I like it. It totally fits the plot and provides the reader with plenty of atmosphere. All of the favorite Archie characters are present and as I turned the pages, I was on pins and needles about who would die next.

I will end this review asking for a moment of silence for my dead Juggie. He's my favorite character and although his legacy will forever be remember in Afterlife with Archie, he just didn't last long enough!


RATING: 4 PAWS
 

14 comments:

  1. Aw, did Jughead turn into a zombie in this one? I'm not a fan of Riverdale per say, but I am loving this series and your reviews. It's actually making me see Archie in a whole new light!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep...early on. I never cared much for the traditional Archie stuff but I really like the new turn it's taken.

      Delete
  2. is that a zombie in the cover?? I give you lotsa of credit for reading a graphic novel about Zs Barb! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really must read these...lol. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. They are. However, I am finding Veronica and Betty SUPER annoying.

      Delete
  5. Awesome!! I just picked up The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina at the library! Can't wait to dive in :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you were able to get it! Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

      Delete
  6. This sounds really different. I should maybe pick up a graphic novel sometime because I do like the sound of this one. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They can be fun reads and break up some of the larger books on my TBR.

      Delete
  7. This is kind of throwing me for a loop. I haven't seen Riverdale yet. I plan to after hearing you guys talking about it. This whole dark side of Archie is something I'm just not familiar with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Riverdale was great and the next season starts in October. I love the dark side of Archie and Sabrina.

      Delete