Tuesday, September 26, 2017

TTT - Ten Books That Feature Kick-Butt Female Charcters! (or actually just five)

This top 10 weekly meme is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish and can be found HERE.  Each week they focus on lists which cover various topics related to books and reading. 

This week I'm sharing with you 5 books or series that feature awesome female characters - you know? The ones with constant attitude and snarkiness.









Mercy Thompson - I love Mercy and her take-no-prisoner attitude.  She runs with an awesome group of individuals and isn't afraid to take on any enemy.  Plus she is a mechanic and you have to admire a female mechanic.  I always wish I'd paid more attention to my Dad's work and knew more about vehicles.


Olivia -  Olivia from Harris' Midnight series is definitely one of my favorite characters.  She mysterious and an assassin to boot.  She has some of the best lines and loves flirting with danger.  The books hint at a relationship between her and Lem, the residence vamp, but the TV definitely takes that relationship further.  I'm pretty sure this series will be canceled, but I really enjoyed it.


Betsy the Vampire Queen - So this series has gotten progressively worse since it started, but the first few were tons of fun.  I've read a lot of them and do plan on finishing.  Betsy is the Queen of snark and is bad-ass (at least in her own mind).  These books do tend to make me chuckle and face it, sometimes we need a lighthearted read.


Atl - This remains one of my favorite books this year and I can't recommend it enough.  Atl is an awesome character.  Despite being a tough vampire who is trying to outrun a narco-vampire clan, she also has a slightly sensitive side  - but only very slightly.   She also had THE BEST dog sidekick - Cualli! If you haven't read this book - do so now!


Veronica Speedwell - This one one of my favorite series and I can't wait to dive into the next one.  Veronica does not follow what is expected of Victorian lady, and instead, choose to make her own path in life. She is full of wit and adventure and some of her lines toward Stoker, her partner with whom sexual tension abounds, are classics!

So there you have it.  I probably could have come up with 10 but these 5 stick out in my mind as the most important to me.  If you haven't tried some of these books, I recommend you do so.  









40 comments:

  1. I've been meaning to watch Midnight Crossroad, but I wasn't crazy about the book. Sounds like the TV show might be better. And yes for Certain Dark Things! One of my favorite books as well😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was somewhat cheesy. I think because it was on network TV they were limited. But the characterization was good and it followed the books somewhat - at least the main plot. I wish more people would read Certain Dark Things!

      Delete
  2. certain Dark Thing is still in the top of my fantasy list [for when I can read fantasy again] since you mentioned for the first time! I CANNOT WAIT TO READ IT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read any of these!! Terrible, I know. Mercy Thompson is high on my TBR though. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems almost everybody who reads Briggs loves Mercy!

      Delete
  4. Great list! I need to read more of Patricia Briggs' books!

    Here’s my Top Ten Tuesday!

    Ronyell @ Rabbit Ears Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to catch up on this series and start and catch up on the Alpha & Omega one too.

      Delete
  5. Great list. I love Briggs and try to never miss one. Library here I come.
    sherry @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE snarky heroines in books. I've read A Perilous Undertaking, so I'll definitely have to check out some of the other books/series on your list.

    Have a great week. - Katie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy them. Betsy gets rather annoying as the series goes on but the first few are loads of fun.

      Delete
  7. Now that's a great list of authors and books. A couple of these are new to me too. Thanks for the introductions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're quite welcome. That's what us bloggers do best - enable each other!

      Delete
  8. Mercy Thompson is the best! Gotta love a coyote who can hold her own amidst a pack of werewolves. And yes, it's awesome that she's a mechanic :)

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could really use her mechanical skills right about now. I think I missed the boat. I've always said I should have went into mechanics and opened an all-female garage/body shop. It could be a great marketing tactic and women could go there and not feel like they might be taken advantage of!

      Delete
  9. I love kick-butt female characters. I want to read Certain Dark Things even more now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've only read the one Mercy book but she was great! Love the pack too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Veronica Speedwell! She's hilarious. Not to mention smart, brave, frank, and loyal. I just read an ARC of the newest book -- I can't wait for the next one. They can't come out fast enough for me :)

    Happy TTT (on a Wednesday)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have an arc of it too. I can't wait to dive into it!

      Delete
  12. I was a huge fan of the Betsy series until they started going off the rails. I need to finish up that series someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to finish it and yes, it did go off the rails. About the time her sister was introduced as Satan's replacement, I kind of stopped.

      Delete
  13. I've read three of these and completely agree so should probably add the other two to my wishlist. I definitely fancy the sound of the Perilous Undertaking book.
    Lynn :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. I feel like I'm the only one who hasn't read any of the Mercy Thompson books. I think I'll pick one up soon and Certain dark things has been on my TBR forever, it sounds like something I'd enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Mercy books are awesome and I can't say enough good things about Certain Dark Things.

      Delete
  15. Five is good! :-) I love Mercy Thompson. It's been years since I last visited Betsy the Vampire Queen. I used to really enjoy those books. I'm not sure why I stopped reading them. I hope to meet Veronica Speedwell soon. And I really want to read Harris' series. I've enjoyed her other books.

    Thanks for sharing, Barb!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the Midnight Texas series better than the Sookie one. However, as far as I know, she only planned three books.

      Delete
  16. You picked some great characters! Mercy is one of my favorites. Veronica Speedwell is also a lot of fun. I have read the books but I am really enjoying the Midnight Texas show. Fingers crossed that it stays on for a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too - which probably means it will get canceled.

      Delete
  17. I do love Mercy and it was tough leaving her out of my top ten! It was a close thing but in the end I had to go for Pam! I do plan to read Certain Dark Things at some point but it might end up being next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam is so much fun. Everyone needs a friend like Pam.

      Delete
  18. Yay kick-butt women! And awesome that you even got some female vampires on the list! Re: mechanics, I, uh, used to be able to check the oil in my car. Does that count for anything? Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that definitely counts. Some people can't even do that.

      Delete
  19. Good list. The first kick-butt woman that comes to my mind is Buffy (but of course that's TV.) Another that comes to mind is Nancy Drew, I mean it was the 30's and she carried a gun and drove a car.

    I went off topic this week. Here's my post: http://books.thetechchef.net/top-ten-tuesday-34/

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you for the reminder that I need to try a Patricia Briggs book! A have a few of them sitting on my Kindle, and somehow I forgot I even had them. Thanks for the reminder, I'm always looking for kick butt leads! :)

    ReplyDelete