Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Can't Wait Wednesday (123)

Can't Wait Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted at Wishful Endings to spotlight highly anticipated books.  It is based on the Waiting on Wednesday meme which used to be hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine.






FROM GOODREADS:  A year ago, Sunny Nwazue, an American-born girl Nigerian girl, was inducted into the secret Leopard Society. As she began to develop her magical powers, Sunny learned that she had been chosen to lead a dangerous mission to avert an apocalypse, brought about by the terrifying masquerade, Ekwensu. Now, stronger, feistier, and a bit older, Sunny is studying with her mentor Sugar Cream and struggling to unlock the secrets in her strange Nsibidi book.

Eventually, Sunny knows she must confront her destiny. With the support of her Leopard Society friends, Orlu, Chichi, and Sasha, and of her spirit face, Anyanwu, she will travel through worlds both visible and invisible to the mysteries town of Osisi, where she will fight a climactic battle to save humanity.

Much-honored Nnedi Okorafor, winner of the Hugo, Nebula, and World Fantasy awards, merges today’s Nigeria with a unique world she creates. Akata Warrior blends mythology, fantasy, history and magic into a compelling tale that will keep readers spellbound.


WHY I CAN'T WAIT:  I read "Akata Witch" last month and LOVED it.  In fact, I even gave it 5 paws. I was so excited to see I wouldn't have to wait long to read the sequel and see what happens next.  If you haven't picked up the first book, there's still time before this one comes out! 


WHAT BOOK CAN'T YOU WAIT FOR THIS WEEK??? 

43 comments:

  1. I haven't read the first book yet, but this sounds interesting! Great pick!

    Here’s my WoW!

    Ronyell @ Rabbit Ears Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought I'd end up loving it as much as I did.

      Delete
  2. I really want to read Akata Witch, and I guess I hadn't realized there was already a second book out there. I've loved other books by Okorafor so I'm sure I'd love these too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually think Akata Witch was a re-release which explains the close release date. I really think you'd enjoy it.

      Delete
  3. I really need to check out the first book because this one sounds really good. I hope you get your hands on and enjoy it. :)
    Jenea's Book Obsession CWW

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've found some great reads through your recommendations I might check out this series. Lovely cover art!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you've found some good reads. The art is awesome and goes so well with the first book.

      Delete
  5. I only just recently discovered this author but I've been wanting to read her books ever since. Great pick!

    My CWW: https://tsundokubooks.blogspot.com/2017/09/cant-wait-wednesday-fantastic-beasts.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to check out her science fiction series. I like her writing and I've heard good things about it.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds interesting from a cultural perspective as well as in general. Hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, all the cultural stuff makes the story that much more interesting!

      Delete
  8. I was just eyeing the first book recently and thinking I should pick it up soon. This sounds good too! Thanks for sharing, Barb!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely give it a go. It was a really fun read.

      Delete
  9. This book sounds really interesting! I'm gonna have to check out the first one! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're quite welcome. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  10. Wow...this one is coming up pretty quick. Didn't the first one come out this summer? I do want to read this series since you enjoyed it as much as you did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure the first one was a re-release but I could be mistaken. Books rarely come out that close together.

      Delete
  11. This one is new to me! It sounds like quite an interesting story. Thanks so much for sharing it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow this sounds fun and original too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been seeing so much about this and the first one. I've really got to get ahold of it soon! Great pick! Thanks for stopping by my CWW at Lisa Loves Literature earlier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think you'll regret picking them up.

      Delete
  14. That's so great that the second book already has a cover and description! Looks fantastic!

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
  15. ... how is the sequel on the horizon already WHUT?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hope this is as good as the first one for you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I never heard of this, but it does sound interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a very interesting and unique middle grade.

      Delete
  18. Is that a spider in the hair?! No fan of them, but it sounds really intersting, though I´ve never read a book by the author. Hope you´ll enjoy :-)

    Best wishes
    Vi @Inkvotary

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm glad to hear the first book in this series is so good. I've been wanting to start the series but hadn't come across many reviews of it yet. Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm going to have to get the first book in the series. Hope you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Book 1 is waiting on my nightstand to be read next! I couldn't resist after your review :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hope you love the sequel! Yee on the 5 paws for book one. That's awesome.

    ReplyDelete