Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Can't Wait Wednesday (128)

Can't Wait Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted at Wishful Endings to spotlight highly anticipated books.  It is based on the Waiting on Wednesday meme which used to be hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine.








FROM GOODREADS: Gangs of New York meets Cassandra Clare in this debut YA fantasy set in 1882 Brooklyn

New York, 1882. A dark, forbidding city, and no place for a girl with unexplainable powers.

Sixteen-year-old Avery Kohl pines for the life she had before her mother was taken. She fears the mysterious men in crow masks who locked her mother in the Tombs asylum for being able to see what others couldn’t. Avery denies the signs in herself, focusing instead on her shifts at the ironworks factory and keeping her inventor father out of trouble. Other than secondhand tales of adventure from her best friend, Khan, an ex-slave, and caring for her falcon, Seraphine, Avery spends her days struggling to survive.

Like her mother’s, Avery’s powers refuse to be contained. When she causes a bizarre explosion at the factory, she has no choice but to run from her lies, straight into the darkest corners of the city. Avery must embrace her abilities and learn to wield their power—or join her mother in the cavernous horrors of the Tombs. And the Tombs has secrets of its own: strange experiments are being performed on “patients”…and no one knows why.
 


WHY I CAN'T WAIT:  I think it's a combination of the historical setting, people in crow masks, powers and an asylum.  It's either going to be very good, or very complicated - maybe both!

WHAT BOOK CAN'T YOU WAIT FOR THIS WEEK???

47 comments:

  1. This does sound really interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Added it to my TBR. Thanks for putting it on my radar!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the mix of the historical setting with fantasy will make this a great book - nice pick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I'm very interested in seeing what it's all about.

      Delete
  4. I like the cover design for this book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. It actually gives me a western vibe even though it takes place in a city.

      Delete
  5. This is new to me, but wow, I am definitely adding it to my pile. What a cool sounding story, and I love the time period.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow - I really like the sound of this one I must admit. Thanks for highlighting.
    Lynn :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. This one sounds great - I love the cover. Thank you for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You had me at Cassandra Clare! This one is new to me and I think that it will be one that I will enjoy. Thanks so much for sharing it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figure that will get a lot of people's attention.

      Delete
  9. This sounds like a fun, creepy read! I love Clare and love the time period this is set in. Thank you for sharing! Adding it to my TBR :)
    Here's my WoW.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooo, asylum stories kinda freak me out. Sounds creepy! (Thanks for the calendar idea for “a pup and a plant.” Think I’m going to make myself one of those photo books on Shutterfly once I run out of ideas!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you liked my suggestion. I love Shutterfly and made my husband a photo book one Christmas from the pups. I really should make him another one.

      Delete
  11. That is a pretty fantastic combination, an asylum and powers! Count me in. Great pick.

    Thank you for stopping by my CWW

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oooo an asylum. The cover has a very spooky, eerie feel to it. Hope you enjoy it.
    sherry @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am very impressed. The cover looks great and the summary sounds very interesting. Might go on my wishlist. Thanks for sharing and thanks for visiting my blog.
    Best wishes
    Vi @Inkvotary

    ReplyDelete
  14. I haven't heard of this book, but it does sound intriguing! I like that historical time period, too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This sounds great! Adding it to my wishlist! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the New York setting. This sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, this is the first time I've heard of this one, but I think I might have to add it to my TBR now. It sounds awesome :D

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I could enable you for a change instead of you always enabling me!

      Delete
  18. Gangs of New York meets Cassandra Clare is not a combo i ever thought I'd hear, but it TOTALLY Works! brilliant pick, BArb!

    ReplyDelete
  19. OH WOW WOW WOW WOW
    W
    O
    W
    THIS BOOK SOUNDS SO FREAKING GOOD BARB!!!
    you are the best at finding the best books!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think this is the first I'm hearing of this, and I think I need to go add it to my TBR on Goodreads RIGHT NOW! Great pick! Thank you so much for bringing it to my attention. Also, thanks for visiting my CWW on Lisa Loves Literature earlier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you think this is one you might pick up!

      Delete
  21. Gangs of New York meets Cassandra Clare? Yes, please! I'll definitely be checking this book out, so thanks for bringing it to my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Another for me to keep an eye out for! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is an AWESOME pick, Barb!! :) :)

    You know, at first sight, I didn't like the title, as it sounds ominous. But I do love that cover! And then I read the plot, and.... it's AWESOME!! I really do like it! I checked out the book on Goodreads right away, to see if it was classified as horror. Thankfully, it's not. It still sounds a bit sinister, though, with the thing about these "experiments". (Shades of Nazi Germany, maybe?) Still interesting, though!

    Thanks for sharing! Thanks as well for commenting on my CWW post!! HUGS TO YOU & THE BOYS!! And WOOF, WOOF to them, too!! <3 <3 <3 :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. This one is new to me, but it sounds so good! The historical setting especially drew me to it, but the mention of powers and the asylum solidified it for me. I'll be on the look out for this one. Thank you for bringing it to my attention, Barb. I hope you have a great week.

    ReplyDelete