Friday, October 27, 2017

Weekly Reads (10/27/17) What a Week!


So the big news of the week is the fire in our town.  I don't know how people in California survived all the wildfires because I can tell ya, breathing has not been fun.  So pretty much, this happened in our town early last Saturday morning.  

There was an old plant located in the middle of our town.  It had not been fully operational for about 12 years.  However, the guy who owns it was apparently using it as storage for plastics, chemicals for other area plants and who knows what else because so far he is still "out of the country" even though he has been court ordered to provide a detailed list of what was in there and thus what we have been breathing.  It covers 6-8 city blocks and has been burning ever since that night.  It rained this week which kept the smoke closer to the ground for 2 days and depending on how the wind shifts, you may or may not be able to breathe.  Fish have been found dead in the local river and basically rumors and speculation are running rampant. Fun times for all! I feel sorry for all the animals who can't get away from this and the boys have been very limited on being outside and they just don't understand. #TandCassAren'tHappy

Anyway, on to other news.  We did manage to watch a great movie this week - Annabelle:Creation.  It was so much better than the first Annabelle movie.  I don't scare easily but Mr. Barb and I both jumped in a few places and the creep factor was SUPER high.  I definitely recommend it.  Planning on watching Stranger Things Season 2, the new Planet of the Apes movie and the new Jeepers Creeper movie this week - along with lots of football.  Plus we're carving pumpkins tonight.

I've been reading some but it's taking me forever to get through a small novella.  I started "Twilight Pariah" Monday evening but haven't read much and I thought I could get it finished last night but got the sniffles (see giant smoke cloud above) and ended up vegging and watching TV. Here is what's up next on the stack for the coming days ahead. 

So I hope you all have a wonderful week ahead and Booker T and Cass want to wish you a HAPPY HALLOWEEN (if you celebrate).

26 comments:

  1. OMG, that fire!! People are so irresponsible, that guy has hurt a lot of people AND animals, it seems like!

    My husband is so excited for Stranger Things 2, he's basically planned our weekend around bingeing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I doubt I get all of Stranger Things 2 watched this weekend but I plan on making a dent.

      Delete
  2. That is terrifying. I hope that careless fool who was storing chemicals is prosecuted. How awful. We have a local plastic company that has poisoned our wells and town water system with toxins and is getting away with it. It's infuriating and our town is useless. They're not even making them put in a water purification system. Every homeowner except those closest to the site, have to provide their own!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's pathetic. Some of these people get away with too much. They say the air is safe but no one believes them. EPA is headed to town today.

      Delete
  3. PS I loved Annabelle Creation too :) Forgot about that in my rant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow that is some blaze. What a complete muppet that man must have been and I hope his ass ends up in jail at some point. Your poor boys are being deprived of a decent healthy walk! Give them an extra big cuddle from me. Ooh I've been waiting years for the next Jeepers Creepers film! I loved the first two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cass and Booker say thanks for the cuddles Auntie Chuckles!

      Delete
  5. oh wow that is terrible! such a negligence that caused such a disaster. Sorry to hear how it affected you all! (the babies!) hugs and kisses to all. Coincidentally I was browsing my cable yesterday looking for a horror movie and saw the Annabel movie and was wondering.. I'm so watching it now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you must watch it! I think you'll like it and it's perfect for Halloween!

      Delete
  6. Wow that is scary Barb. I hope they put it out soon. City of Lies was really good. I hope you love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked City of Lies. I've heard it's not so much a mystery but more romance so I'm curious what I think.

      Delete
  7. Oh goodness that fire! That man needs to be dragged from wherever he is and forced to answer for what he did! That was beyond reckless and irresponsible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely. I haven't heard yet if he has been "located" but I'm sure he won't be treated very nicely - there's tons of clean up to do.

      Delete
  8. What an awful disaster. Sucks what it's doing to the environment and that they pups have to stay inside but hopefully it will pass soon. Looking forward to your thoughts on the Twilight Pariah. It wasn't as creepy as I thought it would be.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I finished Twilight Pariah Friday night and really wasn't impressed. I should have my review up this week.

      Delete
  9. Sorry to hear about the fire. Weve had terrible brush fires here in Caifornia so I feel ya. Take care of those pups!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You were who I thought of with the fires. I don't know how you survived breathing in all that pollution and smoke.

      Delete
  10. I hate that you are having to breath that nasty air. :( Also the poor boys, they want to be outside having fun and have to stay in. Hope you enjoy those reads! I am almost done with City of Lies and it's not been to bad but it's a lot different than her other series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They finally got the fire out Saturday and now are just watching it to make sure it doesn't flare back up. It already smells better but I guess a lot of the damage is already done.

      Delete
  11. Oh no. That fire looks awful. I do hope things clear up in your area. Chemical smoke can be deadly. I'm excited to see the new Annabelle movie. Glad to hear it's better than the other one. And some great reads too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked this newest Annabelle. It makes the other look kind of silly.

      Delete
  12. Oh sorry to hear that. I hope the owner get caught soon. Sorry that it had affected all of you.
    I hope you enjoy your books and have a wonderful reading week. Happy reading. ❤️��

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh no!!! I'm so sorry to hear about the plant fire!! I hope the police are able to contact him soon! Stay safe! <3

    ReplyDelete