Thursday, October 26, 2017

Two Bloggers One Book - Rosemary's Baby



I've really started looking forward to my and Stormi's buddy reads each month. I have so much fun chatting with her about our choices and we are so good at planning them that we already have books picked out for November, December and January.  We both knew we wanted to do something special for October and Halloween and since we both had recently grabbed "Rosemary's Baby" it was the obvious choice,  So once you read my thoughts, make sure you head over to Stormi's blog, Books Movies Reviews, Oh My! and see what she thought.  

BUT FIRST, a little Halloween back story:

"Rosemary's Baby" has always held a special place in my heart because of my Dad.  In fact, I love telling people that my love for all things horror started in the womb.  When my parents were pregnant, my Dad took my mom to the drive-in theater.  He told her they were going to see a new movie, "Rosemary's Baby."  Now my mom does not like horror movies, books or anything.  But she didn't ask and Dad didn't tell.  In fact, she was totally prepared to watch a drama about a woman and her lovely child.  Well, she was not happy about Dad's choice of movies.  And she was worried the rest of her pregnancy that I would be born the child of Satan.  Man, if I had been cognizant of the fact, I'm sure I would have convinced Dad to put little black mittens on my hands when I was born and when Mom first held me.  It would have been hilarious.  On to the book!


TITLE: Rosemary's Baby (50th Anniversary Edition)
AUTHOR: Ira Levin
PUBLISHER: W.W. Norton & Company 
PUBLISHING DATE: March 12, 1967 (March 3, 2017)

FROM GOODREADS: Rosemary Woodhouse and her struggling actor husband Guy move into the Bramford, an old New York City apartment building with an ominous reputation and mostly elderly residents. Neighbors Roman and Minnie Castavet soon come nosing around to welcome the Woodhouses to the building, and despite Rosemary's reservations about their eccentricity and the weird noises that she keeps hearing, her husband takes a shine to them.


Shortly after Guy lands a plum Broadway role, Rosemary becomes pregnant—and the Castavets start taking a special interest in her welfare. As the sickened Rosemary becomes increasingly isolated, she begins to suspect that the Castavets' circle is not what it seems...
 


MY THOUGHTS: "Rosemary's Baby" in my opinion is all about the atmosphere.  The creepy New York hotel, the weird and quirky neighbors, and mysterious happenings.  Most people know the story but it was nice to finally break down and read this novel.  Nothing about it really surprised me because I've seen the movie several times, and basically, I can say the movie is one the best book to movie adaptations I ever seen.  

Rosemary and her struggling-actor husband are newly married and land the apartment of their dreams at the Bramford.  Once they move in they meet their quirky elderly neighbors, Roman and Minnie Castavet, who quickly worm their way into the Woodhouse's lives.  As Guy's career starts to take off, thanks to some bad luck falling upon his competition, Rosemary is thrilled to become pregnant.  And basically, it all goes down hill from there.

I really wanted to smack Rosemary numerous times during this book.  She seemed so smart in the beginning and yet managed to make stupid decision after stupid decision.  How she could continue to trust Guy and her neighbors is beyond me and all I can say is yes, love must be blind.  At least back in 1967.  Whether you love them or hate them, it is quite an interesting trip getting to know all the players in "Rosemary's Baby" and despite knowing the ending, I was never bored with the tale.

I should also say that the special edition I read had a pretty lengthy forward which discussed the book's history as well as its transition into a movie.  While I usually skip these things, I'm glad I didn't in this case and I would urge others to read it as well.  I'm so glad Stormi and I chose "Rosemary's Baby" and I consider it a horror classic.  If you haven't read it and love horror, please consider picking it up.

RATING: 4 Stars

19 comments:

  1. It seems you enjoyed this one a little bit more than, Stormi. I read it a long time ago and watched the movie. I agree, it's all about the atmosphere and I liked it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pretty sure I have a copy of this book somewhere, I really do need to find it and read this again! And this post is good timing because I just saw the movie (again) on TV. Super weird and creepy👿

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to try to find the movie again this weekend. I haven't seen it in a while.

      Delete
  3. What a great story about your mum and dad :D
    Glad you enjoyed this and I agree - the movie is a great adaptation and very creepy.
    Lynn :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynn. I really treasure this memory of my dad, especially since he passed.

      Delete
  4. Little black mittens. lol Great review, Barb. Read it, saw the movie a long time ago, but I do agree...it is a classic horror tale.
    sherry @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep...too bad Dad really missed out on that one.

      Delete
  5. She sure was stupid! :) It was an atmospheric read and though not scary I did enjoy it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rosemary is the character I would push in front of a zombie while I was trying to escape.

      Delete
  6. lol, your dad missed a good opportunity there! I don't think I've ever read this book now that I'm thinking on it. Rosemary might make me a little crazy so I'm not sure if I will. I recently watched the movie for the first time since I was a kid and it still creeped me out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think her stupidity isn't as obvious in the movie as it is in the book.

      Delete
  7. I love the story about your parents :) I haven't read this book or watched the movie but I think it is one I should add to my tbr list. Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Always wanted to read this classic. I've seen the movie, though it was a while ago, and wasn't all that impressed. I'm hoping the book will actually be creepier!

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The movie is actually a pretty good representation of the book so you may not like it that well.

      Delete
  9. I just love that story about your parents. :) I thought Rosemary broke the mold for a 60s horror female, but perhaps her character isn't very timeless. That foreword sounds like a really great read. I'm going to have to hunt down a copy of that special edition. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, I guess back then she would have came across a lot more independent and headstrong. You make a good point I didn't consider.

      Delete
  10. Oooh this made me want to do a reread soon!

    ReplyDelete