Thursday, June 14, 2018

So I Guess I Do Like Science Fiction!

TITLE: Outpost (Donovan Trilogy #1)
AUTHOR: W. Michael Gear
PUBLISHER: Daw Books
PUBLISHING DATE: February 20, 2018

FROM GOODREADS: Donovan: A world of remarkable wealth, habitable, with a breathable atmosphere, water, and a salubrious climate. Call it a dream come true. A dream? Or a nightmare? Donovan's wealth comes at a price. For Donovan lies thirty light years away--a two-year journey that few survive.

When Turalon arrives in orbit, Supervisor Kalico Aguila discovers a failing colony, it's government overthrown, and the few colonists left now gone wild. For Kalico, Donovan offers the chance of a lifetime: one desperate spin of the wheel that will leave her the most powerful woman in the solar system. Or dead.

Planetside, Talina Perez is one the three rulers of Port Authority--the only remnant of a town on Donovan. She's the only law left, and now a Corporate ship has appeared in orbit and is demaning answers about things she's done in the name of survival. Perez is about to lose everything, including her life, when Kalico lands with her Marines.

For Dan Wirth, Donovan is a last chance. A psychopath with a death sentence looming over his head, he can't wait to set foot on Port Authority. He will make one desperate play to grab a piece of the action. No matter who he has to corrupt, murder, or destroy.

Captain Max Taggart has been The Corporation's "go to" guy when it comes to brutal enforcement. As the situation in Port Authority deteriorates, he'll be faced with committing mass murder in order to dominate the wild Donovanians. Only Talina Perez stands in his way. Or. God forbid, is he getting squeamish in his old age?

Just as matters spiral out of control, a ghost ship, the Freelander,appears in orbit. Missing for two years, she arrives with a crew dead of old age, and reeks of a bizarre death-cult ritual that forewarns any ship from making the return journey to Solar System.

Does anyone dare space back on Turlon with her wealth of ore, ceramic, gems, and gold? Or do they take their chances on a deadly planet that kills three out of four colonists?

And in the meantime, a brutal killer is stalking all of them, for Donovan plays its own complex and deadly game. One whose secrets are hidden in Talia Perez's very blood. A game which will change everything, forever.

MY THOUGHTS:  So I pretty much think the Goodreads synopsis does a great job of introducing the players in this novel and summing up what is gone so I will spare you a lot of repetitiveness.  Basically, a group of people have been stuck on Donovan for years, no one has arrived to help them, and when people finally do arrive, they threaten everything the community has built. 

Gear does a wonderful job world building this planet.  There are so many cool plants and "animals" on Donovan that the descriptions alone kept me intrigued.  Then there are the characters.  The ones you love, you really love and those you don't, well there so much fun to hate.  I loved that the community who has lived on the planet for years created their own infrastructure and feel then owe nothing to The Corporation.  And I love their leaders, especially Talina.  She is smart, stubborn and kick-ass!  She takes no prisoners and isn't afraid to do what has to be done.

This book kept me engrossed from page one.  Whenever I thought I'd put it down, I always ended up reading more.  There was one scene where I personally wanted to contact Gear and tell him what a mess he made of my emotions but I held back - although I'm still considering this. If you saw yesterday's post, you know that Tammy from Books, Bones & Buffy urged me to read this series and I'm forever grateful.  I can't wait to see where it heads next!

If you love science fiction, then consider this book.  I seriously don't think it's getting enough attention.  And if you are new to the genre, so was I and look at how much I loved it!

RATING: 5 PAWS

21 comments:

  1. Awesome. I love scifi but it often loses out to horror and fantasy unless it's a scary scifi. Haha. This sounds great, especially the world building. I'm going to keep an eye out for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. Sometimes all the technical stuff scares me because I never was a great science student. But this one is great!

      Delete
  2. Ok, you have me interested. You are sooo giddy with this, it makes me impressed with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you had a good time with this one! It's a genre I don't read much in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me either so I was surprised I liked it so much.

      Delete
  4. Love reading your review, Barb! And what a relief that you loved this, otherwise I'd be in the doghouse😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nah, I wouldn't have held it against you. Didn't you like "Prey of Gods" too? You're kind of my go-to science fiction person now :)

      Delete
  5. I can probably count the number of scifi titles I've read on one hand: I, Robot, Catherine Asaro's first series and Halfway Human. I should read more and this sounds like a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't read a lot of scifi but this sounds worth a try based on your review. Any book that gets to you like this one did is something special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was pretty good. I had my library order a copy (well, I asked and they complied) so I wasn't out anything. I found it to be definitely worth the read.

      Delete
  7. Between your review and Tammy's, I feel like I need to get on this one like yesterday! It's going on my summer reading list for sure!

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've had my eye on this one. Seeing how much you enjoyed it, I'm encouraged to give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please do and I look forward to your thoughts.

      Delete
  9. I've also been looking at this one and Tammy's, and now your, review is certainly making me anxious to dive in.
    Lynn :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then our plan is working - we both want more people to recognize this awesome read!

      Delete
  10. Isn't it nice when we find a book we like in a different genre? I get tired of reading the same types of books over and over. I have a couple in my TBR pile that are out of my normal genre and I have my fingers crossed that I will like them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to spice things up as well. I consider myself a pretty eclectic reader even though I do gravitate toward darker books and dog books.

      Delete
  11. SciFi is my thing, so I'm happy you discovered you really like it. Yay! 🚀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I'm enjoying dipping my feet into it.

      Delete