Friday, June 8, 2018

Weekly Reads (06/08/18)


So the first week of June has been interesting to say the least.  Those of you who remember "SC" - stupid cousin - he and his wife were in full force this week and ended up bullying Gpa into giving them some money. He is now in the hospital and while they didn't actually hurt him and he was feeling poorly this week anyway, I do blame them for adding more stress on him.  IDIOTS.  Needless to say, I've been telling quite a few people off this week and I'm afraid I might not be done yet.

On a more positive note, I was asked to be on the Board for a new Veteran's homeless shelter that is being built in our town.  I am so honored and it's actually going to be the first in the States that welcomes Veterans AND their pets.  I'm hoping it may eventually lead to a job for either me or my husband because it's a population we'd both love to work with.

The pups are fine.  My reading, not so much.  Not slumpy just no time.  And at the end of the day, I've ended up vegging with movies and Mr. Barb rather than reading.  We watched "Death Wish."  It's a remake with Bruce Willis and I really liked it.  I tend to like Willis although I can't quite pinpoint why.  We watched a B-horror movie called "Code Red" which is several years old but it involved Bulgaria, war troops and zombies so it was entertaining.  Finally, last night we watched "Hurricane Heist" which is from the same people who make the "Fast and Furious" movies.  It was fun and starts the guy who plays Jason Stackhouse on True Blood (who I really like).  A lot of it was unbelievable but hey, see the above "at least it was entertaining" comment.

Finally here are the books I'm either currently reading or looking at longingly.  It may rain a lot here this weekend which will at least give me an excuse to stay inside and read.  


What are your weekend plans?  

22 comments:

  1. OMG, people who take advantage of the elderly are the lowest form of scum. Your poor Gpa. I hope karma comes around and bites them hard in the ass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. And Karma is definitely going to hit them hard some day.

      Delete
  2. I am reading a middle grade book that I got for review. It's called Passage to Avalon (The Epic Adventures of the Techno Wizard #1) by Mike Thayer and so far it's pretty good :) Hope your family issues work themselves out. I think everyone has someone like stupid cousin :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, there seems to be one or two in every family!

      Delete
  3. The board for the homeless shelter sounds so great! It's wonderful how you're getting involved.

    We just watched Death Wish tonight and saw Hurricane Heist a little while ago - it's my kind of movie, silly and over the top!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, it was a fun watch. Kind of over the top, but entertaining.

      Delete
  4. What an honor to be asked to be on the board of the shelter! I know you will do good things with the position. I am sorry to hear about Grandpa. I can't believe that the cousins are back at it. I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope your grandpa feels better soon. Shame on your cousin for bullying an old man. I am also glad to hear Death Wish was good though. I've heard some not so good things from movie critics, but then again I hardly trust them these days, they don't seem to know what the regular average movie watchers enjoy anymore.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I pretty much ignore the critics. I just don't look for the same things in movies that they do it seems :)

      Delete
  6. I loved Charles Bronson in Death Wish. Bruce Willis might be good in the remake. I'll be watching it. Sorry to hear about your grandpa and the board invitation sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura. Willis was pretty good in it.

      Delete
  7. Youve got some good books planned this weekend! My son comes home from college next Friday and I have to clean his room before he gets home. My daughter basically moved all her musical equipment in this past year and has been using it as a recording studio. So yeah, there goes my weekend!😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have fun with you son this summer. I know you're probably going to be glad to have them all together again!

      Delete
  8. I hope they are able to lay into to your SC for being such an idiot. I am excited, out town is getting a redbox, that make the town feel a bit more into the now...lol. Small town life. :) I might get to see some newer movies...lol.

    I have Jurasic Florida high on my want to read list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh god... I'm so sorry to hear about SC... But that center sounds lovely! I hope you are able to get a job there as well! What a great fit that would be! <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wish I could personally sort out those idiots for you, I swear I do. I love the idea of a place that accepts the pets as well as that would be a huge thing for someone not wanting to be parted from a beloved furry friend. I hope you can get some work there as it would be a perfect fit for you and Mr Barb!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's awesome about the pets as well. I know if you were around, you'd team up with me to stop their shenanigans once and for all!

      Delete
  11. I hope your grandpa is doing much better. We've been watching movies here, too. With the kids being out of school for the summer I'm struggling with my reading and blogging time. Good luck with the housing project! That sounds really amazing.

    ReplyDelete