Wednesday, August 1, 2018

2018 Dog Days of Summer Challenge - The Pups Pick My TBR! (And August Musts & Mights)



So La La and Jo are once again hosting this month-long summer event and it seems I have been stockpiling books to read for the past 6 months.  In order to make this a tad more interesting, and possible influenced by numerous "My _____ picks my TBR" videos on Booktube, I've decided to let Booker T and Cass pick my potential reads.  I decided not to confuse my boys too much, especially since Booker has been under the weather.  I've decided to let each book be represented by a different color tennis ball.  The book on the left is represented by an ORANGE tennis ball and the book on the right will be represented by a YELLOW one. That way the picks would be unbiased.  So on with the choices!  


So first up we have "Atomic Frenchie" vs "Lockjaw: Issues 1-4."  Both are so adorable I know I'd never be able to chose.  


WINNER: Booker T chose yellow- Atomic Frenchie

Next we are looking at a non-fiction race.  "Drinking From the Trough" is a memoir from a teacher turned vet and "A Marriage in Dog Years" is another memoir I've had for several months about a woman trying to save her dog and her marriage.


WINNER: Cass choose yellow - Drinking from the Trough

In the next battle, we have an adorable MG contemporary and a YA dystopian.  Both look really good.


WINNER: Booker T chose orange - Your Robot Dog Will Die

Next up is a contest between on of my favorite authors, Diane Moat, and a book I purchased pretty much strictly as a cover buy.


WINNER: Cass chose orange - Tomorrow

This upcoming battle includes two books I've had on my shelf for over a year (which is the case with A LOT of books). "Einstein" is about an alien that comes to Earth but decides to save a guys dog named Einstein and "The Last Dog on Earth" is about an orphan, and abandoned dog and the end of the Earth - see a theme here?


WINNER: Booker T chose orange - The Last Dog on Earth

And for the final battle, we have two mysteries.  You all know I love Renee George and her Smooshie books and I've had "Dog Days of Doom" FOREVER!


WINNER: Cass chose yellow - Dog Dish of Doom

So I'm actually hoping to read at least one a week, so this gives me plenty of choice.  I do know Atomic Frenchie will be the first one I pick up.  However, I still have some other books I need to get read so here's a brief showcase of some other "MIGHTS."


21 comments:

  1. Looks like you and the boys have some fun reading ahead :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly does. I already finished Atomic Frenchie and can't wait to review it!

      Delete
  2. Lots of look forward to - the cover for Lock jaw just makes me grin ridiculously.
    Lynn :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still love the cover of Atomic Frenchie! Ha ha. 😂

    I have Rules of the Ruff to read. I requested it on Netgalley because of seeing it here on your blog a couple of months ago. 👍

    I am looking forward to what you think about The Last Dog on Earth. I have had my eye on it for a while. 📚

    T and Cass did a great job picking books! 🐾

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they did too although I was secretly wishing for Rules of the Ruff - may pick it up anyway but don't tell them :)

      Delete
  4. I'd read Atomic Frenchie first too. What a great bunch of books! Have fun:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura. I finished it in one day - AWESOME!

      Delete
  5. I will be reading Creature by Hunter Shea this month, too. :) I don't think I'll be able to pick up Ramsey Campbell until September.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I can work it in. I remember reading something by him YEARS ago and liking it so I really need to pick up more.

      Delete
  6. Oh no, I hope Booker feels better soon. This is such a cute idea. My dog probably wouldn't be too motivate unless there was food involved. These all look adorable, except Your Robot Dog Will Die. That just sounds like it'd make me cry, robot dog or not. Happy August!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Booker T is feeling better - thanks. It's funny, Booker T is very food motivated but Cass is attention motivated. He'd leave his treats alone and come back and get them later - but they wouldn't really be there.

      Delete
  7. This is fun- what a great way to decide! Good picks you guys! And hope Booker is feeling better...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is Greg - thanks for the well wishes. I thought it would be a fun twist!

      Delete
  8. Hope you enjoy your doggy reads! I'm glad Booker T was up to helping you choose=hopefully he's on the mend now. It'll be September before I get back to Hunter Shea I think as I have my Authorfest this month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep he is feeling better. I look forward to some recommendations for some new authors coming from you this month :)

      Delete
  9. I love the tennis ball thing, lol! Sounds like a fun challenge. I hope to squeeze in Bad Man too, hope we both love it😁

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that the pups share you enthusiasm for reading. lol
    sherry @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ahh, you forgot to take pictures didn't you...lol. I wonder if my dogs would pick anything...they would probably just run around them instead of going to one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Booker is still under the weather! :( I love the cover of Dog Fight I would have chosen that one just because of the cover. I'm so shallow LOL such a fun post! :) Booker.. get better!

    ReplyDelete