Monday, August 6, 2018

Dog Days of Summer - Atomic Frenchie #ThePawistheLaw

TITLE: Atomic Frenchie: Sit. Stay. Rule.
AUTHORS: Thomas E. Sniegoski and Tom McWeeny
PUBLISHER: Insight Comics
PUBLISHING DATE: April 17, 2018

FROM GOODREADS: Kirby is no ordinary French Bulldog—he is twenty-two pounds of fur-covered ruthless ambition. Freakishly intelligent and determined, he has one goal: Rule the World.

When Kirby, a French Bulldog with a serious Napoleon Complex, moves to a new home in the quaint New England town of Strasburg, Massachusetts, and stumbles upon a forgotten secret laboratory, he realizes that his dreams of Planetary Conquest are finally within paw's reach. But, suddenly, Kirby realizes he isn’t alone. Seemingly out of nowhere, a strange group of people appear, exhibiting what Kirby can only describe as superpowers! Kirby must rise up against all who stand in his way to emerge victorious in this ultimate quest for world domination.

The Atomic Frenchie is the first book in a series following the adventures of Kirby, professional supervillain and future ruler of Earth, as he schemes and battles his way past evil library robots, supernatural cat ladies, superpowered mail men, and more bizarre characters to achieve his sinister dreams of ruling the world.

MY THOUGHTS:  So one day Kirby and his best turtle friend, OB, learn they are being moved to the suburbs by their family or as Kirby sees them, their servants.  Although initially unsure of the move, things start to look up when Kirby finds a secret underground laboratory beneath the garage,  One night he is visited by a spectral scientist who used to reside in the home and together, they all explore the lab and let's just say an experiment is done on Kirby which should really scare the world in general.  Now Kirby is dead set on achieving complete world domination.

To say I loved this book is an understatement.  It's done in combination novel/graphic novel style and I found it super easy to get lost not only in the artwork but also in the story.  I loved Kirby but have to admit, he is also a tad scary.  Let's just say there is no room for obnoxious kid neighbors in Kirby's universe.  The authors also manage to introduce some characters toward the end of the book which I am sure will play important roles in future installments.  

Never have a seen such a small pup with such a huge ego. Yet he does have some endearing qualities.  Wait, who am I kidding, he so full of himself yet you can't help but love him.  In fact, he's the perfect antihero.   If you love dogs, run, don't walk, to your nearest retailer and grab a copy of this book. It's beautifully done and will be a wonderful addition to my shelves.  I just can't wait to see what Kirby is up to next!  




RATING: 5 Paws



I read this as part of the Dog Days of Summer #DDOS readathon hosted by LaLa in the Library and Jo's Book Blog.

18 comments:

  1. I am glad you loved your first book for DDOS. I have like all of mine so far but one. Sometimes it amazes me that such horrible books get published. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw your horrible one and I agree, it sounds horrible.

      Delete
  2. Oh my Barb this books sounds so cute. Kirby with his world domination goal, I'm sure it has some great laughs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks fun! I haven't really read any graphic novels and just don't think about picking them up. This one sounds like it was really well done. Great find!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one's a combination which I enjoyed because I felt there was still "meat" to the story.

      Delete
  4. I have to read this. This pup sounds like Scrappy Doo. He was so tiny and so full of himself. Puppy Power!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds fun! And oh no- watch out obnoxious kid neighbors! And he's got a turtle friend too? Nice bonus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The turtle is so much fun - a perfect sidekick!

      Delete
  6. *dies laughing* Kirby has an iron throne! OMG Barb, this is such agem! I couldn't stop laughing through the blurb and your review.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The cover is so cute. I love when characters are smug, but you still manage to love them anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Frenchies! Ha ha. This story sounds like a lot of fun! 🐾

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's adorable. I like them too. I see them as miniature boxers.

      Delete
  9. I already love Kirby! Sounds like a book I need in my life😁

    ReplyDelete