Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Can't Wait Wednesday (172)


Can't Wait Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted at Wishful Endings to spotlight highly anticipated books.  It is based on the Waiting on Wednesday meme which used to be hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine.




FROM GOODREADS: Readers are well aware that Mary Shelley wrote Frankenstein: few know how many other tales of terror she created. In addition to Uncle Tom’s Cabin, Harriet Beecher Stowe wrote some surprisingly effective horror stories. The year after Little Women appeared, Louisa May Alcott published one of the first mummy tales. These ladies weren’t alone. From the earliest days of Gothic and horror fiction, women were exploring the frontiers of fear, dreaming dark dreams that will still keep you up at night. 

More Deadly than the Male includes unexpected horror tales by Louisa May Alcott and Harriet Beecher Stowe, and forgotten writers like Mary Cholmondely and Charlotte Riddell, whose work deserves a modern audience. Readers will be drawn in by the familiar names and intrigued by their rare stories. 

In The Beckside Boggle, Alice Rea brings a common piece of English folklore to hair-raising life, while Helene Blavatsky, best known as the founder of the spiritualist Theosophical Society, paints a picture of A Witch’s Den as vivid as any vision conjured up by the great pulp writers. Edith Wharton’s great novel The Age of Innocence won her the Pulitzer prize, yet her horror stories are known only to a comparative few.

Readers will discover lost and forgotten women who wrote horror every bit as effectively as their male contemporaries. They will learn about their lives and careers, the challenges they faced as women working in a male-dominated field, the way they overcame those challenges, and the way they approached the genre—which was often subtler, more psychological, and more disturbing. 

WHY I CAN'T WAIT:  Perhaps because Fall is in the air and I love creepy and spooky things, especially this time of year (who am I kidding - all the time), when I caught this one, it really caught my eye.  Also because some of my favorite bloggers are doing an instagram challenge featuring women of horror all of August, I couldn't help but pay attention when I saw what this one was about.  I only wish it came out earlier.  This is one I feel I will need a physical copy of on my shelves.

WHAT BOOK CAN'T YOU WAIT FOR THIS WEEK???

45 comments:

  1. I usually sit out anthologies, but damn this one does sound good! I'm also sad I didn't know about the women of horror challenge in August, that would have been fun to do, I think.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never knew they all wrote these horror tales. I'll be interested to see what you think of this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that title. And I'm curious how these go for ya.

    ReplyDelete
  4. *hands up* I didn't realise she wrote so many horror stories! Or that the other authors did too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it will be fun discovering what all is in this book.

      Delete
  5. Call me intrigued! This sounds deliciously wonderful for this time of year, Barb. I hadn't heard of this. And while horror and I have a on again/off again relationship, I will definitely have to check this out. I hope you love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never heard of this, but wow what a great idea! I'm glad you mentioned the Instagram challenge, it's been so much fun. I'm going to do a wrap up post about it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't normally like short stories but I might have to try this one as I didn't know Louisa May Alcott wrote a horror! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds good. I read more anthologies than ever. They're great for traveling, when I am putting a book down then picking it up then putting it down....
    sherry @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are great when traveling. Hope you get a chance to check this one out.

      Delete
  9. This sounds amazing! I didn't know this book was coming out! I'm going to add it to my TBR! I hope you'll enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG....I'm cowering under the bed already....LOL. Hope you enjoy this one, Barb!! :)

    HUGS TO YOU AND THOSE ADORABLE PUPS, AND "WOOF, WOOF" TO THEM!! <3 <3 <3 :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the sound of this one. I want to read this! Great pick!

    Mary my CWW!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'll definitely be on the lookout for this! Louisa May Alcott is one of my favorites and I had no idea she'd written a horror story!! Thanks for sharing this one!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How fun! I'd definitely read this one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, this sounds awesome. I'm kind of sad we have to wait until 2019 to read it though.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love everything about this! I will definitely be checking out this one. A Louisa May Alcott horror novel has me super curious.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I do enjoy spooky reads in the fall. This sounds like a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds like some good spooky stuff here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. This sounds absolutely fantastic! I love the fall creepiness and like you said, I’m ready for fall too!

    Jennifer Tar Heel Reader

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow I did not know those authors wrote horror stories!!! I will have to get my hands on this. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Whoa, does this one ever sound promising?! I cannot wait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, when I saw it I immediately thought of your instagram activities.

      Delete
  21. Oh wow! Usually I'm hit or miss when it comes to anthologies but I would definitely read this one!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ohh, thank you - this one goes onto my list.
    Lynn :D

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh dear lord... I NEED THIS! Thanks for featuring it. It is going straight on my tbr. 📚✨

    ReplyDelete