Thursday, August 9, 2018

What a Rush! - Manifest Recall Review

TITLE: Manifest Recall
AUTHOR: Alan Baxter
PUBLISHER: Grey Matter Press
PUBLISHING DATE: June 26, 2018

FROM GOODREADS:
A SUPERNATURAL CRIME THRILLER FROM THE AWARD-WINNING MASTER OF DARK FANTASY

Following a psychotic break, Eli Carver finds himself on the run, behind the wheel of a car that’s not his own, and in the company of a terrified woman he doesn’t know. As layers of ugly truth are peeled back and dark secrets are revealed, the duo find themselves in a struggle for survival when they unravel a mystery that pits them against the most dangerous forces in their lives.

A contemporary southern gothic thriller with frightening supernatural overtones, Alan Baxter’s Manifest Recall explores the tragic life of a hitman who finds himself on the wrong side of his criminal syndicate. Baxter’s adrenaline-fueled approach to storytelling draws readers into Eli Carver’s downward spiral of psychosis and through the darkest realms of lost memories, human guilt and the insurmountable quest for personal redemption.

MY THOUGHTS:  I had been wanting to read this book ever since I first stumbled across the cover on Amazon so when the author reached out on Twitter looking for reviewers, I jumped straight away.  This book immediately starts in with action.  The reader meets Eli Carver.  Eli is clearly running from something and just happens to have a young lady in the passenger seat who previously spent a few days tied up in his trunk.  The first half of the book we learned how Eli got to this point and in the second half, we learn what he's going to do about it.

There are some paranormal elements present in "Manifest Recall" in the form of ghosts of individuals Eli has encountered in the past (I'm trying not to give a lot away here guys so bear with me).  These ghosts accompany Eli on his journey and have the potential to  either be his downfall or his saviors.  

As the book is on the shorter side, I think it's best to not give too much away.  I also think this is a great read to go into knowing little about the synopsis.  All I can say is that if you love fast-paced bloody books, then definitely grab this one.  And since reading it, I've already accumulated some future reads by the same author.

As I mentioned, I received my copy from the author but it in no way influenced my thoughts.

RATING: 4 Paws

16 comments:

  1. I've read so many good reviews. When my currently crazy month ends I'll have to grab myself a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds really good. I will have to look for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was. Plus it was a nice quick read. Sometimes those are good to have around.

      Delete
  3. I need to get my hands on this one ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I checked out your rating but jumped past your review as I've not wrote mine yet. This was one heck of a ride, wasn't it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like fast paced bloody books but when I saw the words contemporary gothic and MC with psychosis issues and it has given me pause. I'm totally undecided on this one! Maybe I need to read a ton of reviews before I decide but I will investigate further...!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't use the words contemporary OR Gothic. There is no love/instalove/triangles in it, no sex and it's dark so maybe that's where they get Gothic.

      Delete
  6. Ohhh, now this is an impressive review for this book! Eli sounds like a fascinating character + bloody huh? Nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked Eli...but don't know that I'd ever want to run into him in a dark alley.

      Delete
  7. This is new to me, but that cover really grabs your attention. It sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yea, that's what caught my attention when I was first browsing on Amazon.

      Delete