Tuesday, August 28, 2018

It's a Bird... It's a Plane... It's Dog Man!

TITLE: Dog Man
AUTHOR: Dav Pilkey
PUBLISHER: Graphix
PUBLISHING DATE: August 30, 2016

FROM GOODREADS: George and Harold have created a new hero who digs into deception, claws after crooks, and rolls over robbers. When Greg the police dog and his cop companion are injured on the job, a life-saving surgery changes the course of history, and Dog Man is born. With the head of a dog and the body of a human, this heroic hound has a real nose for justice. But can he resist the call of the wild to answer the call of duty? 

MY THOUGHTS:  So I've always been curious about this children's book and figured when better to check it out than during the Dog Days of Summer readathon.  I knew nothing about Dog Man himself and was slightly shocked to find that he was created when a sneaky cat blew up a cop and his dog.  The cop's body survived and the dog's head survived so they created Dog Man.  And honestly, I don't know what the force would do without him because he is clearly the smartest one in town.  

Vol. 1 contains 4 tales of Dog Man fighting crime and while the art was very simplistic, it was also very appropriate for the subject and the targeted audience so I can see why so many children like it. I grabbed this one from OverDrive and since I have access to the rest, I'm sure I'll grab them at some point in the future as well.

RATING: 3 PAWS

16 comments:

  1. I would definitely read this to my kids if they were little!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely a kid book - that's for sure.

      Delete
  2. The way dogman came to be is rather interesting to say the least. I had not heard of this one before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm half dog, half man? I guess kids like that sort of thing lol.
    Yay for another book for DDOS.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I helped run the book fair at my daughter's school last year, and these Dog Man books were all the rage with the kids. I can definitely see the appeal. My daughter's six and she had blast with this one.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a really cute cover! I'm a bit disturbed by how he was created though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My Monster LOVES Dog Man. I'm getting her the 5th (I think it's 5th) book for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing your review. It sounds fun, but I don't think I could get past the head transplant thing. 😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was done in a really kid sort of way so I was okay with it.

      Delete