Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Don't Go Into the Woods Buttons!

TITLE: Creature
AUTHOR: Hunter Shea
PUBLISHER: Flame Tree Press
PUBLISHING DATE: September 6, 2018

FROM GOODREADS: The monsters live inside of Kate Woodson. Chronic pain and a host of autoimmune diseases have robbed her of a normal, happy life. Her husband Andrew’s surprise of their dream Maine lake cottage for the summer is the gift of a lifetime. It’s beautiful, remote, idyllic, a place to heal. But they are not alone. Something is in the woods, screeching in the darkness, banging on the house, leaving animals for dead. Just like her body, Kate’s cottage becomes her prison. She and Andrew must fight to survive the creature that lurks in the dead of night. FLAME TREE PRESS is the new fiction imprint of Flame Tree Publishing. Launching in 2018 the list brings together brilliant new authors and the more established; the award winners, and exciting, original voices.

MY THOUGHTS:  I can probably say that I've reviewed more Hunter Shea books on my blog than any other author and for good reason.  One, the man's writing is prolific.  I seriously don't know how he finds the time to write so much.  Two, he writes such action-packed creature features which are always fun.  However, I had a feeling when I picked up "Creature" that I was in store for something outside of the norm.  And I can honestly say that what I read solidified Shea as one of my favorite three horror writers.

"Creature" starts out introducing us to Kate, her husband Andrew and their beagle Buttons.  I have to mention Buttons because that little dog was the cause of much anxiety for me throughout the whole book.  Anyone who reads a lot of horror knows pets don't stand a fighting chance.  Kate is seriously ill and has been for years, suffering from an autoimmune disease and everything else it triggers.  Andrew works hard to provide for the family and care for Kate.  Wanting to something special, he takes a three month leave of absence and rents a cabin in the Maine woods as a surprise for Kate.  Little do they know when they arrive, something else is waiting for them.

I found "Creature" to be a very character-driven book.  I loved Andrew and how hard he worked to take care of Kate.  I also loved that he certainly wasn't perfect.  I also loved the relationship between Kate and Andrew.  It clearly was forged from love and adversity.  We also get to meet Kate's brother and his wife and they are a fun addition to the horror in the woods.  I must also say that Shea did a good job of making the woods/cabin a character in and of itself.  Especially since it takes some time for the reader to put all the pieces together.

"Creature" does provide plenty of action in the end and once again, Shea is not afraid of blood and gore.  However, this book carries so much more.  If you are going into it expecting Shea's creature-feature type books, then you might be disappointed at first.  However, give it a chance because you might find a horror that is much more scarier - real life. 

RATING: 5 PAWS



BOOKER T's THOUGHTS:  Dear Andrew and Kate,  please keep that darn beagle Buttons on a leash.  He caused my Mommy much anxiety and I simply do not appreciate it.  Dear Buttons, you are a fine dog and can hang out with me and Cass anytime, but we are never visiting your cabin.

13 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to reading this as my next Hunter Shea fix. (I only started reading his books this year, so I have a lot of his books still to read.) Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh how fun. You've got some great reading ahead of you then. I really loved Just Add Water and The Jersey Devil.

      Delete
  2. LOL, love Booker T's thoughts!
    This sounds good and I haven't not read any of Shea's books. But it really sounds like I am missing out. My two favorites horror writers well three are Dean Koontz, Stephen King and Nate Kenyon. I will have to pick up a Shea book to try him.

    Great review!

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not heard of Nate Kenyon. Gonna have to check him out!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the warning! I'll know what to expect when I read it. I'm looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. I still loved it though. Now the horror book I'm reading now - the verdict is still out.

      Delete
  4. You know how I feel about blood and gore, but I HAVE to know: is Buttons ok?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's just say it probably wouldn't have garnered a 5/5 rating if the dog died :) I'm known to take points off for that!

      Delete
  5. I have got to read Hunter Shea soon. I am kind of worried about Buttons though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's a hint. I don't give books 5/5 when the dog dies:)

      Delete
  6. wow I'll have to start reading Hunter Shea's books then! You are always so enthusiastic about his books!

    ReplyDelete