Sunday, August 26, 2018

Sidetracked Sunday #7 - Dog Days of Summer Version


So since The Farm is celebrating Dog Days of Summer this month, it's only fitting that for this month's Sidetracked Sunday, I chose a book I recently grabbed from my library.  I've read both a fiction and a non-fiction book from this author and her books are always fun and she definitely has a connection with dogs.  And for those who like dog tales, I definitely recommend "A Pug's Tale" and "Pug Hill" by the same author.


TITLE: City Dog
AUTHOR: Alison Pace
PUBLISHER: Berkley Books
PUBLISHING DATE: September 2, 2008

FROM GOODREADS: After her divorce, Amy Dodge thought she'd finally write the next Great American Novel. Instead she's written a bestselling children's book series, Run, Carlie, Run! starring her adorable and spirited West Highland White terrier and a dashing (but fictional) Scottish explorer. When Carlie is offered a starring role in her own television show, and the explorer begins to take on a life of his own, Amy's world takes a surreal turn.

But just when Amy starts thinking it's a dog's life after all, she figures out a way to make everything change. And though life in New York isn't always a walk in the park, it might just take her exactly where she needs to be.

MY THOUGHTS:  So Amy is recently divorced and living on her own.  She always wanted to be a "great " writer and constantly laments the novel she isn't writing, even though she has a bestselling children's book featuring her own dog Carlie.  Amy feels in a pretty stagnate position in life when she gets the opportunity for a television series featuring Carlie.  Although she is hesitant to commit, she does, but it's either going to be a great decision or one of her worst.

This is a pretty light read but it was a wonderful way to spend a Sunday afternoon.  I really liked Amy although I do think at times she was a very "Can't see the forest because of the trees" kind of gal.  "City Dog" does not focus a lot on romantic elements, but because of the nature of the book, you know it's going there.  Amy does meet a guy named Nick who is a host of an flashback 80's music show and I loved how the author used 80's song titles and lyrics for the chapter titles.  I recognized almost all of them so that was some added fun.  Also, there are chapters from Carlie's POV as well as from Carlie's fictional pal, Robert McGuire, who Amy has fashioned as the perfect man (and which is why she probably can't find a "real" man).  Carlie is definitely the smartest "person" in the whole book.  I also felt for a moment that a dreaded love triangle was being introduced but it was almost like Pace saw where it was headed and put on the brakes before it got out of hand.  

Overall I enjoyed "City Dog."  I loved meeting Carlie and found it to be more a book about self discovery than one about just romance.  If you like contemporary reads or better yet, dogs, I think you'd enjoy "City Dog."  

MY RATING: 4 PAWS

12 comments:

  1. This sounds really cute, plus look how adorable thst dog is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I love the expression on her face.

      Delete
  2. Looks like my neighbour's former dog, Ricky! He loved chasing cats and birds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a dog I'd love and Cass says "BIRDS!"

      Delete
  3. This sounds like a fun read. I love that it includes the dog's pov!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been enjoying all your critters shares.
    sherry @ fundinmental Sunday Memes

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your review just made me smile! I lvoe that Carlie has her own POV not to mention her perfect man lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good way to describe this book - it made me smile too :)

      Delete